Another expansion tank dilemma

Users who are viewing this thread

kelkel

Reaction score
My hot water heater supply line runs through the coil in the oil burner so the water is pre-heated some. There is not much room before the water heater to put the expansion tank. Could I place it directly after the hot water heater or if I put it on the supply line before the oil burner will this help with the closed system problem? There is a back-flow preventer installed right after the water meter. Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The expansion tank must be in the cold water supply line before it reachs the water heater. Putting it after the heater in the hot water line would not work. In your case, I would put it between the PRV and the oil burner. If there isn't room to put the tank directly under the supply line, tee off the supply line to the side, then elbow down and install the tank. Support it well from above.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Why does the expansion tank need to be on the cold-water side? Seems to me that unless you had heat traps on the WH, the pressure should be the same on both sides of the WH.

Is it more of an issue of avoiding damaging the rubber diagphragm in the expansion tank?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The installation directions specifically say to do it that way. I'm sure some of the more learned professionals can expound the theory behind it, I just follow directions.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

The ideal location is anywhere between the hot water shut off valve and the water heater. But that is just to provide additional protection if the heater supply valve were shut off and the burner/elements turned on and created thermal expansion. It will also function almost anywhere in the cold water system as long as the heater's supply valve is turned on.

michaedt

Reaction score
hot water expands

I'm no expert, that's for sure, but from the perspective of physics, there is a simple reason why the expansion tank must be on the cold water supply line side of the tank instead of the hot side. As the name implies, an expansion tank collects water that has "expanded" during the heating process---that is, cold water expands when it gets hot. If we assume that a system is perfectly insulated, the hot water pipes should already be hot and, therefore, fully expanded (in a perfect world they would be the same temperature as the tank). Therefore, the only place left for the expanding water in the tank is the cold water supply. An expansion tank collects the expanding hot water on the supply side before it exerts any more pressure on the system. As hj said, it protects your system if the shut-off valve is closed or if you have a unidirectional shut-off valve. Again, I'm no expert, but this makes sense to me.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more I am convinced that the pressure should be the same on both sides of the WH. There is certainly some intuitive logic about the already-hot water on the output side of the WH not being able to expand further, but in the end, the pressure inside the WH from heating the water will push equally on both the hot (output) side and the cold (input) side.

One way of thinking about this is a simple experiment. In the past, before I had an expansion tank, I came to realize that when my pipes started to vibrate loudly at night (from water expansion) I could instantly stop it by opening EITHER a hot or cold tap anywhere in the house. The pressure's the same everywhere, near as I can tell.

Now, I would bet that the reason the expansion tank manufacturers tell us to put them on the cold side is more to do with keeping hot water from weakening the rubber diaphragm, not because they wouldn't work on the hot side.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The Exp tank being on the cold side, the water entering the tank will be as cool as is possible because the dip tube would be alowing the cooler water from the bottom in first. The hotter water being at the top of the heater.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, the pressure is the same everywhere within the closed system when no valve is open. But, I thought of a couple of other reasons why the cold side is probably better...putting hot water into the tank would mean more energy losses - most of the time, that hot water sitting in that uninsulated tank would cool off, further expanding, and then keep the hot water from reaching the hot water tap after you open it say the next morning - maybe as much as another couple of gallons - that's 48-seconds more cold water in the shower.

Guess you better find a place on the cold side! Course, it would work anywhere, but the other reasons kind of tip the balance. My unprofessional thoughts!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pressure

The water in an expansion tank does not go anywhere unless the pressure drops and the air bubble forces it out, but even then it would be in the range of a teacup or less. And the hot water being "expanded" already would make it have less mass and therefore it is lighter, but that has nothing to do with the pressure in the system, which is the same at every point at the same elevation.

richardlin

Reaction score
What is the outlet pressure?

What is the pressure of the outlet of Hot water tank ff Expansion Tank has air of 40 psi?

It was 40 psi (I forgot.), and it becomes 78 now after I noticed the circulating pump between HBurner and HWTank is broken.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The expansion tank should be on the cold supply side so you don't lose as much heat. It also extends the life of the bladder which will deteriorate more quickly if it is hot all the time.

The prescharge pressure in a potable water expansion tank should be the nominal supply pressure. The tank should be empty under normal conditions and will empty when you draw water from the system. There is very little flow to the tank and you don't want it to collect stagnant warm water.

The tank doesn't PREVENT increase in pressure when the water gets hot; it limits the increase in pressure so it won't damage your system.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
maybe ,one more plus for the cold side

long term hot water may affect the rubber bladder,just a guess. Tool:confused:

richardlin

Reaction score
How to replace circulating pump?

I bought a used CP (circulating pump). It was good when installed, and water was applied to burner. While water presure was increasing, I turned off CP because I was worried that I should add oil to lubricate flange.

After water pressure was balanced at 75 psi, the CP did not work when I turned it on again.

I will take it off to test again. but I just don't know why it does not work now.

Thank you for any input.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did you buy a circulating pump that was designed for 75 psi, or did you buy a circulating pump for a hydronic system that is never supposed to get above 30 psi and is usually 15 to 20 psi?

The bearings and seal in a hydronic system pump may not be made to take the pressure loads from a 75 psi system. The excessive pressure could force the impeller against the housing and prevent the motor from turning the shaft.

A circulating pump for a potable water system should be all bronze because there is always oxygen in the water supply. You can use an iron pump in a hydronic system because the only oxygen is in a small amount of makeup water.

richardlin

Reaction score
Circulating Pump

The circulating pump to be replaced is
B&G HV 102210.
I bought the same one, this time it is a brand new one.
After replacing, I added oil to all three cups and waited for the water to be balanced between input and output of the boiler before turning on pump. This time it works fine although there was some noise from motor before I knocked the motor. It is almost silent this time.

I will test the used one I bought the first time and let you know the result. Probably because I did not wait for water
to be balanced, and broke the flange.

Thank you very much.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks