electrical leads to water well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

nyati

Reaction score
i have an in-well water pump that was replaced.

my question is regarding the electrical leads.

will a broken lead going down the well to the pump cause the pump to shut down ?

i know this sounds like a stupid question but i believe i was " fleeced".

originally the well guy stated i had a broken lead in the well but couldn't fix it due to the well blocked in. when he returned days later he had a brand spanking new pump that he hurriedly installed. after he put it in and was lowering it into the well ( it almost bottomed out ) he stopped and fixed the broken wire. then when everything was completed he fused it up and it worked.

he's telling me that broken lead had nothing to do with the functionality of pump. i say he's a liar ! what say you experts ?

thanks,

nyati

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Depends which lead. If it was the green protection ground, the pump could run without it.

In many cases, the price of the pump is less than the labour component so it is not uncommon to install a new pump when the old one needs to be pulled.

bcpumpguy

Reaction score
all depends on the age of the old pump, whether or not the megohms at the motor were ok or not. Any pump 15 years and older is really on borrowed time. That said I have pulled 40 year old working pumps, those are far and few between though.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, a broken wire (not a ground wire) will cause the pump not to run.
Yes, a broken wire (not a ground wire) can cause permanent damage to a pump motor. If the pump motor is a 230volt and it is run on 115volt, it can over heat and destroy itself.
In my opinion, putting a new pump in with old wire is asking for trouble.

nyati

Reaction score
thanks guys for help and info !

i'm glad i found this site as i'm blessed with constant water problems.

gotta get a man out to fix some problems before the snow flies and at that time i'm gonna have him locate that splice and just find out which wire it is.

there was a few suspect actions during this repair and the company won't let me meet with the boys that applied the fix and refuses to pop the well and confirm the wire. they won't even have a face to face meeting . in 2 tele conversations with the manager i caught him and lets call one worker " honest abe " ( the companys honest worker LOL ! ) lying several times. one instance, honest abe said the other tech had ohmed out the pump before he replaced it. i was standing right there the whole time and he didn't ohm anything out with a vom or any other test equip.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Constant water problems? Something is wrong, these systems when properly installed are one of the most reliable systems you can ever have.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks