2 Gallon Expansion Tanks...Hot water VS Well expansion tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Its.me.again

Reaction score
Can anyone solve this mystery for me? When it comes to putting a 2 gallon thermal expansion tank on a hot water heater, can a person opt to use a 2 gallon well pressure expansion tank?

What is the difference between these expansion tanks?

I will use the following example that Lowes sells the 2 gallon hot water tank expansion tank for $40.00 and the 2 Gallon well pump expansion tank for $50.00. These are the "LPT2" series tanks.

I wonder if most people complain that typical hot water expansion tanks experience bladder failure in 3 years? Do you think that the well style expansion tank has a stronger internal bladder and will last longer?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They should be the same tank, because a 2 gallon "well pump expansion tank" would be absolutely useless for a pump system, (and well pumps do NOT have an expansion problem in the first place).

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
...a 2 gallon "well pump expansion tank" would be absolutely useless for a pump system...

A 2 gallon pressure tank on a well pump would be fine for a sprinkler system that is matched to the GPM of the pump so that it doesn't cycle. Also would work with a CSV.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WH expansion tanks are designed to be installed on the cold water supply and won't work well on the hot side - the bladder dies earlier. Both a well tank and a WH would normally only have cold water feeding them, so, it's likely either should work. A well tank bladder would probably see MUCH more expansion/contraction of the volume of water, and to survive a decent service life, the bladder may be more robust to take the regular large excursions as the pump cycles. A WH, depending on its size, may only need to accommodate a cup or so from expansion, a well tank much more.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Interesting you found a thermal expansion tank at Lowe's. My Lowe's doesn't even know what they are. That aside, I have had my expansion tank in place for 5 years and it is still just fine.

Zl700

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
They should be the same tank, because a 2 gallon "well pump expansion tank" would be absolutely useless for a pump system, (and well pumps do NOT have an expansion problem in the first place).

Unless its on a variable speed constant pressure well system or a jet pump booster system and then 2-gallon well tanks are the norm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks