Cold Water!

Users who are viewing this thread

Cold Shower!

Reaction score
I got a new dishwasher hooked up last week and I got the new dual gas/electric stove hooked up today. I ran the first load in the dishwasher this afternoon. I have not turned on the stove for any extended amount of time today. The water throughout the house is heated with gas. Several hours after running the dishwasher and running one load of clothes earlier this afternoon - I tried to take a shower and was unable to get any hot or warm water at all. I waited several more hours and was not able to get any warm/hot water in any of the bathroom sinks. I would have figured that the water would have been warm at least by this time. I am not sure what to do. It does not seem that the hot water heater in the basement is heating - as I can usually hear the gas 'flame up' and heat the tank. Should I call the plumber back in the morning to address this issue. I was hoping to be done with spending money on the plumber - as all of the hook-ups this past week have been quite pricey. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It would appear that someone did something wrong or didn't do something they should have done, but the root of the problem has to be at the water heater. A gas water heater should heat a tank of cold water in just a few minutes, not hours. I'd start with making sure the gas is turned on. If it uses a pilot light, it must be lit. If it uses an electronic ignition, then it must be plugged in. In my opinion, you should not have to pay the plumber if there was something he did or didn't do. If there is something wrong with the heater, that would be a different story, but I would not advise you to do more than a visual inspection of the heater.

Nestork

Janitorial Technician
Reaction score
I think Gary hit the nail on the head when he said "It would appear that someone... ...didn't do something they should have done,..."

The plumber would have shut off the gas to hook up the stove. That woulda caused the pilot light on your water heater to go out while he was hooking up the stove.

So, when he turned the gas back on to check that the stove was working properly, he figured he was finished cuz the stove worked fine. But, he forgot to relight the pilot light on the water heater.

Just a guess, but it's my best guess. (and if Gary and I are right, then this one's a freebee)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks