(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: opinions on what to do with house with low voltage lighting setup

Default opinions on what to do with house with low voltage lighting setup

We bought a split level brick ranch about 3 years ago and one of the interesting aspects of it is this GE low voltage lighting system. There has evidently been some modifications to it over the years but most of the relays/switches still function. There's a relay box in the attic and 2 full control knobs in the house (master bedroom and front entry) that control all the switches on that system (9). About6 of the 9 switches still work with specific lights in the house. 3 of them have been disabled and switched over to regular 110 voltage direct to the light.

My question is: should I leave it or try and move to all 110 volt system? Some of the lines controlled are in areas with no access so I would need to snake through joists in plaster walls. It would be quite the project by myself and even our electrician that had done some work on the house for the previous owners has commented he's not too excited about working on redoing that system if I farm it out.

At first I wanted to get rid of it but now I wonder if its necessary and there's also a bit of a plus being able to control multiple lights in the house (exterior and garage as well) from the bedroom.

If I should keep it, any ideas on some nice replacement switches and cover plates? The ones are original and yellowish.

The low voltage lighting was convenient because you can control the lights from multiple locations without using 3 and 4 way switches. With all the things going on these days, you should be able to find "momentary contact rocker switches". But you have to know whether you need single throw "push on/push off", or double throw "push top on/push bottom off" to get the correct ones.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

I can't remember the name of the system but I know what you are talking about. I have worked on them. There are still parts available
    The system works well. It is flexible and reliable. I would keep it.

DIY Junior Member kenwalkerconst's Avatar

These sound like GE RR7 relays. Latching relays that us a LV momentary contact switch to control them. 24 Volts control if I remember right but the relays are full 20A 120V capable. Any MOMENTARY switch could be use but you will need both on / off contacts.

http://www.kyledesigns.com/product/L...s-Devices.html

Same company Big2bird recomended but the Serria switches are the ones I've seen used with the RR-7's around here, up to 3 per single gange box and I think they are the same people that made a 12(?) position rotary switch. The RR-7's coils would "burn out" from time to time. Time to time being a bunch of years but I've have seen a lighting strike take out 3 out of about 24 installed once.
    Last edited by kenwalkerconst; 12-26-2012 at 12:54 PM.

"Touch plate." I would just leave it alone, but the issue is unless you renew all the relays, which GE still makes for lo vo controls and energy management, you will be changing one here and there for years. Parts can be found here:
    http://www.kyledesigns.com/product/R...ht-Switch.html