(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: New home Owner Kitchen Sink Help

Default New home Owner Kitchen Sink Help

hello, I just bought a new place and the kitchen sink drain needs to be replaced. I noticed that who ever did it last did not put a trap in and the current renter complains about sewage smell and the right side is leaking so they have a bucket there. I'm assuming i just replace everything i see here with new PVC and then add a single trap after the two sinks come together.... I have no plumping experience so any help is appreciated. Thanks!Name:  Sink.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  48.0 KB

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You can get shallow baskets for starters. Those are the deep (or longer) ones.
    A single p-trap will suffice. You may want to look at opening the wall and getting the drain there lower. If it's going down vertical that's a possibility. If it's armed over on the horizontal, then it may be too much.

So for just a basic fix, I could replace everything that is here since it leaks right now, but just add a p-trap where the flixible piping is in the picture? I did notice that the wall drain is pretty high since the baskets sit so low. So I would need 2 90 degree elbows and 1 T pipe that would then connect to a p-trap right? Thanks for the reply!

Ken

Blog Entries

And find some baskets that are shorter.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

I am willing to bet that the original sink that was there was not that deep, so the height of the trap arm was ok. Shorter baskets might get you enough pitch when the P-trap is installed.

If you cannot get the outlet of the new trap at least 1/2" higher than the fitting in the wall, it's not going to drain well, and the fitting in the wall will need to be lowered.

So what pvc pipes can i use to try and get the drain just a little higher. I think the photo is a bad angle but i'll have to look and see if the pvc is higher than the wall drain or not. Is a 90 degree elbow directly connected to the bottom of the basket the best way to keep it as high as possible? This is the first floor of a 2 floor building and the kitchens are right above one another so i'm guess they share the same pip going vertically. I'm not sure how easy it would be to move the wall fitting down. I was hoping for a quick fix replacement of the pvc pipes but I'm seeing this may get more complicated.

The corrugated flex connector is a guaranteed clogger. You will have trouble with the hheight. There should not be any rise from the outlet of the trap to the drain.

could i put a p-trap directly under each basket and then run them both to a PVC WYE as long as it is above the wall fitting?

Blog Entries

Could i put a p-trap directly under each basket and then run them both to a PVC WYE as long as it is above the wall fitting?
    That would work here.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    That would work here.
    Ok sorry for all the questions but one more. Since I am trying to keep everything as high as possible, can I connect the p-trap to the Basket without a tailpiece in between? Will it just thread on to it?

Blog Entries

The sink basket will need a tailpiece for the p-trap.
    That's why you may want shorter baskets.