Is Toto Drake II Hard to Keep Clean?

Users who are viewing this thread

DanMcD

Reaction score
I was wondering if the new Toto Drake II would be hard to keep clean for men who use it. Seems to me that it will get a lot of urine spray on the ledge where the water comes out from the Double Cyclone® groove along the top edge. Any comments would be appreciated.

I was also wondering how many defects people find, as I noted a bubble in porcelain top on the one I saw at the plumbing supply showroom. Also, the top likes to slide around easily and not stay put since it is not a tight fit.

Lastley, I was wondering why people caulk the bottom to the floor in the pictures I’ve seen on this site. Seems like if the toilet ever leaked, you would like to see the water come out and I would think the caulk would delay that visible sign.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The bubble on the top may have been one of the rare defects, and instead of trashing it, they put it on display. Can't say, wasn't there.

But, as to the caulking, the reason it's done is to prevent dirty mop water, misses, dribbles, etc., from getting underneath the toilet. Most places REQUIRE it to be caulked for these reasons, but most only do it around the front of the toilet, leaving the rear open. If the toilet is installed properly (this also means it doesn't rock), there's little chance of it breaking the seal and leaking.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The bubble on the top may have been one of the rare defects, and instead of trashing it, they put it on display. Can't say, wasn't there.

My display models were units that were returns, so I"m thinking that's the case with the one you saw. I also picked up a few from the wholesaler that I work with. Even then, I only remember a few surface blems in all the years I've been selling them. So you were lucky to see one. It's rare.

I'm having less then 1% returns on TOTO.

You can buy some toilets with bolt on lids if you're worried about the kids taking them outside to play.

It's in the plumbing code that the base is caulked to the floor. In Washington State, we leave a little out at the back in case the seal leaks.

The idea behind the double cyclone is that they stay cleaner, not less clean. I have a few that I've been using, and they are cleaner.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This may seem like an "unmanly" suggestion, but it works for me. Just sit down to urinate. There is no rule that says just because we can stand to do it that we have to. I got tired of the dribbles years ago. Keeps the toilet cleaner as well as the floor.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Our double-cyclone toilet hasn't accumulated any urine in the area you suggest. It has good bowl wash.

DanMcD

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Dan:)

How tall is it from the floor to the top of the bowl without the seat?

The spec says 17 1/4, with the seat inlcluded.

I would like it to be taller than my old Kohler which is 14 1/2 for the floor to the top of the bowl (no seat)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks