(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Is Toto Drake II Hard to Keep Clean?

Default Is Toto Drake II Hard to Keep Clean?

I was wondering if the new Toto Drake II would be hard to keep clean for men who use it. Seems to me that it will get a lot of urine spray on the ledge where the water comes out from the Double Cyclone® groove along the top edge. Any comments would be appreciated.

I was also wondering how many defects people find, as I noted a bubble in porcelain top on the one I saw at the plumbing supply showroom. Also, the top likes to slide around easily and not stay put since it is not a tight fit.

Lastley, I was wondering why people caulk the bottom to the floor in the pictures I’ve seen on this site. Seems like if the toilet ever leaked, you would like to see the water come out and I would think the caulk would delay that visible sign.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The bubble on the top may have been one of the rare defects, and instead of trashing it, they put it on display. Can't say, wasn't there.

But, as to the caulking, the reason it's done is to prevent dirty mop water, misses, dribbles, etc., from getting underneath the toilet. Most places REQUIRE it to be caulked for these reasons, but most only do it around the front of the toilet, leaving the rear open. If the toilet is installed properly (this also means it doesn't rock), there's little chance of it breaking the seal and leaking.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The bubble on the top may have been one of the rare defects, and instead of trashing it, they put it on display. Can't say, wasn't there.
    My display models were units that were returns, so I"m thinking that's the case with the one you saw. I also picked up a few from the wholesaler that I work with. Even then, I only remember a few surface blems in all the years I've been selling them. So you were lucky to see one. It's rare.

I'm having less then 1% returns on TOTO.

You can buy some toilets with bolt on lids if you're worried about the kids taking them outside to play.

It's in the plumbing code that the base is caulked to the floor. In Washington State, we leave a little out at the back in case the seal leaks.

The idea behind the double cyclone is that they stay cleaner, not less clean. I have a few that I've been using, and they are cleaner.
    Last edited by Terry; 10-11-2012 at 10:12 AM.

This may seem like an "unmanly" suggestion, but it works for me. Just sit down to urinate. There is no rule that says just because we can stand to do it that we have to. I got tired of the dribbles years ago. Keeps the toilet cleaner as well as the floor.

Our double-cyclone toilet hasn't accumulated any urine in the area you suggest. It has good bowl wash.

Thanks for all the replies. Dan

How tall is it from the floor to the top of the bowl without the seat?

The spec says 17 1/4, with the seat inlcluded.

I would like it to be taller than my old Kohler which is 14 1/2 for the floor to the top of the bowl (no seat)
    Last edited by DanMcD; 10-11-2012 at 03:06 PM.