Installing Uponor PEX, have some install detail questions

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveHo

Reaction score
I'm replacing PB tubing & am running the PEX through some of the same framing holes that it used. I'm using the color coded tubing & have noticed the colored coating is being rubbed off in some spots where it passes through framing. I'm only noticing this on the hot supplies. I can wiggle the tubing in the holes. It does not feel tight & it is not making noise at these points when expanding. However due to the slight curvature the tubing has from being coiled it is rubbing lightly. Granted the colored coating is not as tough as the tubing itself, I can scratch it off using my fingernail without much effort. Is the tubing eventually going to rub through at these spots or am I stressing over nothing?

Secondly, I'm getting expansion noises between the tubing & some of the tube talons/hangers. I can easily slide the tubing through these by hand, the colored coating is not rubbing off, yet they are making noise once the tubing heats up & starts expanding. How do I solve this?

I'm an experienced DIY'er, I've read the Uponor install guide, & watched a ton of you-tube videos. However, none of these really cover some of the nitty gritty details you can only get from experience with the product. Are there any other tricks or finer details someone would be willing to offer?

Thanks!

-Dave

DaveHo

Reaction score
Nobody? Do I need to redo some of my work & enlarge the hole or is coating being rubbed off not an indication the pipe is going to rub through? Been fighting PB leaks for the last couple years & would sure appreciate some input as I don't want to be back in the same boat after going through all this work.

-Dave

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I either use the plastic fittings to secure the PEX, or put some foam insulation around the PEX and hang it. The PEX should have room for expansion.
I've never had a problem with PEX.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The holes should have at least 1/8" clearance around them. Constant rubbing probably will cause premature failure of the pipe. Go to www.souixchief.com and look at the products they have for pex penetrations, hangers and bend supports.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks