(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Water Line Diagram & Terry Love question on YOUTUBE!

Thumbs up Water Line Diagram & Terry Love question on YOUTUBE!

Hello all!

I have been lurking over at John Bridge's website on tiling and bathrooms. They sent me over here for my plumbing questions. This will be a 2 part question. 1.) Supply Lines (Picture) 2.)Waste/Vents (video).

Supply Lines: My main concern here is water pressure in the shower. I have 3/4" lines in which everything T's off of going to 1/2". Will this be ok?
    Name:  Waterlines.JPG
Views: 787
Size:  22.5 KB

Waste/Vents: I made a video for you guys Please try to follow along and let me know your thoughts! Remember, this stuff isn't glued together yet!

I am in desperate need of feedback to keep this project rolling!

Thanks guys!

It is NEVER EVER permissible to reduce the size of a line. That 4 going into the three is illegal, and TROUBLE~

Everything that I read said that I need a 4" drain pipe for a 10' foot run to the stack From the toilet. Would it be better to go 3" without a reducer then?

No no no no no no no! You can't reduce. You can't run vents horizontally below the flood level rim of the fixture.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Matt Mertz is a good plumber in your area, if you should need to call one.

Point taken on not reducing, I appreciate the callout! Am I safe running a 3" waste line at a span of 10 feet for the toilet then???

All vents go vertical to above the floodline of the highest fixture.

I stoppedl watching as soon as you got to the 4x3 REDUCER. Everything past that point would be improper. The pipe size depends on your local code, here the pipe can only be 6' long before you have to connect a vent to it. It amazes me how "everybody" thinks all you need is some pipe and a little advice from the Internet and anyone can become a plumber.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    I stoppedl watching as soon as you got to the 4x3 REDUCER. Everything past that point would be improper. The pipe size depends on your local code, here the pipe can only be 6' long before you have to connect a vent to it. It amazes me how "everybody" thinks all you need is some pipe and a little advice from the Internet and anyone can become a plumber.
    That's how I learned to be a master plumber; or was that a baiter (you know, for fishing)

sorry, could not resist that.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

I have learned far more complex things off of the internet, rebuilding engine for example. I'm not saying that plumbing isn't complex, and there are a lot of "rules" that I am trying to learn.

I removed the 4" toilet drain and will change it to 3" tonight with a 2" vent about 5 feet away. Will this be sufficient for a 10' run? Sorry for the rookie mistake on the reducer!!! Rather than a closet elbow, I am going to use to two 45degree elbows coming out of it as I need the pipe to drop immediately.

Thanks again!

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here is a nice link to Bert Polk's plumbing tips

The 3" toilet line needs a 2" vent within six feet. If you have a lav, that could be used as a wet vent for the toilet.
    The shower vent is done wrong. Vents take off above the pipe line, not below.
    Santees can be used on the vertical, but not horizontal in most places. To pass an inspection, it's best to use a combo or wye fitting on it's back.

Water pipe sizing

quote; Rather than a closet elbow, I am going to use to two 45degree elbows coming out of it as I need the pipe to drop immediately

I am not sure what that means, but I get the impression that your pipe is going to do something it is not supposed to until AFTER it reaches the vent. If the vent is 5' away, then you have a 5' run NOT a 10' run. The pipe after the vent is irrelevent. I am impressed that you learned how to rebuild an automobile engine with just the Internet. Most people would need more than that.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Here is what I am planning for the toilet "45 degree elbows".

Name:  toilet pipes.JPG
Views: 254
Size:  16.6 KB

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That works.

Quote Originally Posted by PGHnoobie View Post
    I have learned far more complex things off of the internet, rebuilding engine for example. I'm not saying that plumbing isn't complex, and there are a lot of "rules" that I am trying to learn.

I removed the 4" toilet drain and will change it to 3" tonight with a 2" vent about 5 feet away. Will this be sufficient for a 10' run? Sorry for the rookie mistake on the reducer!!! Rather than a closet elbow, I am going to use to two 45degree elbows coming out of it as I need the pipe to drop immediately.

Thanks again!
    Relax, I was making fun of myself, not you
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator