(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Replacing a MOEN bathtub faucet with a Kohler Mistos

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    DIY Junior Member totem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Austin, TX

    Default Replacing a MOEN bathtub faucet with a Kohler Mistos


    My wife and I try to do most of the work in the house myself, so we are a bit handy, and was trying to replace the hardware in the bathtub, however, I'm not sure if I'm overlooking something or I should contract a plumber to do this. I appreciate the time you take to read this and suggestions.
    Here's the situation: We moved in to a 1994 house that has one of the universal bathtub (Moen) hardware, and after pulling it off I have the following:

    Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1476
Size:  58.8 KB

    We liked the Kohler "Mistos" set, and purchased it at either Home Depot or Lowe's.
    From the Kohler's site (just in the previous line), you can get to the PDF of the instructions on how to install it, but it seems like I need to replace the whole thing that comes from the wall (the cross that is shown in the picture)? Is that correct? Is there any way I can just use the pipes already installed and not have to break wall, etc? I hope I'm just missing something....
    I noticed Terry's post on Installing a Kohler Rite-Temp bath & shower valve, K-304 but the instructions are there if you are installing for a brand new house.

    Let me know your recommendations. Is it something easy to do? Should I get a Pro to do this instead? or should I just go back to a universal one?

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Plumber jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    San Diego


    No such thing as a "universal" valve : yours is in fact a moen. There also is absolutely NEVER any possibility of interchangeing parts between brands or models. Your valve is soldered to the pipes.....the most common situation. It will have to be removed to install a new Kohler valve. While not impossible, it is a challenging task to do that working thru that small hole. If there is any way to gain access at the rear, that is easier,

  3. #3
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    New England


    IF you can access the valve from behind this wall, then you won't need to tear up the wall. Otherwise, your choices are: find some new Moen trim that will fit what you have, or, make the hole bigger and install a new valve. Trims are rarely interchangeable between brands, and often even within the same brand. With an old valve, your choices on trim may be very limited.

    What a plumber would do is make the hole bigger if it can't be accessed from behind. There are renovation or remodel plates available to cover the larger hole, then the new trim gets installed over that. The shape and finish choices of those varies by brand.

    as an example:Name:  delta-rp29827 renovation plate.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  8.3 KB
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

  4. #4
    DIY Junior Member totem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Austin, TX


    Thanks for the info. Sounds like it will be better to get an updated Moen that fits into the same valve.
    From what I can tell on the Moen website is that it is either "Moentrol" or "Posi-Temp" valve, and from looking at them, I think it is a Posi-Temp one. If you happen to know about them, please share.
    Otherwise, I'll try to get a faucet that fits to a Posi-Temp valve.


  5. #5
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona


    It is NOT a "MoenTrol", but MoenTrol trim fits it. There is no way to adapt "PosiTemp" trim to it.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

  6. #6
    Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    Blog Entries


    A Moentrol trim will fit if you have the adapter that converts the two lower holes trim with the die angle position hole trim.

    Part number 145058

    Hardware stores also carry the old style trim for the Moen.
    That would be the one on the left.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Terry; 10-10-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. MOEN Bathtub faucet is leaking....not sure what to do
    By P0kerMunkee in forum Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-11-2012, 08:17 AM
  2. Moen bathroom faucet cartridge replacing
    By Hube in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 04:44 PM
  3. Moen Faucet still leaks after replacing cartridge.
    By dndgunn in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-10-2009, 07:30 PM
  4. Moen single control bathtub/shower faucet leak
    By gmrsich in forum Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-15-2007, 10:13 AM
  5. Bathtub: can't turn water off on Moen Faucet.
    By bnbhoha in forum Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 09:14 PM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts