Value of Ancient Copper Water Heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

gjj210

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an old copper water heater, probably from the 1930s, sitting in my basement in the house I just bought. It is not in use. I am planning on selling it for scrap. I don't want to get ripped-off. How much should I get? Help me not be a sucker! It is 5 feet by 1 foot.

Thanks,
Greg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The only way to answer the question would be to know how many pounds of copper that you have, and what the going rate for copper is where you live.

If there are any other non-copper parts on the appliance, then it is "mixed metal", which here, is worth much less than an object of entirely one type of metal.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It varies daily, but it's around $2/pound around here. Somewhat depends on how clean. An old waterheater could be full of mineral deposits. Might pay to cut it open, clean it out and take off any non-copper parts. Depends on how much your time is worth, too.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is that thing at all functional? Some people will pay absolutely astonishing prices for crummy old plumbing fixtures. My town has entire stores that
specialize in the sort of junk I've been tossing in the dumpster for decades!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The value of anything is what someone will pay for it. As stated, if it is an old Servel heater, there might be an "antique" store that would want to for resale.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
dont scrap the heater

please dont scrap the heater just yet....

.its not worth that much compared to its rarity.

show me a picture of what you have.... I would really like to see it...

I might be interested in buying it for my store front window..

there is one on e-bay selling for 250 bucks,,, plus shipping right now

post a picture of it or sell it on e-bay

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks