Dishwasher Drain Hose Route

Users who are viewing this thread

thoppy1977

Reaction score
Dishwasher #1.JPGDishwasher #2.JPG

I replaced a dishwasher and the new dishwasher isn't drying like it should be (The old dishwasher didn't have this problem). The retailer told me that the drain hose might be kinked. The yellow line represents the route I have. The standard drain hose wasn't long enough so I spliced together another hose to make is long enough. When the drying cycle is done, the unit is really wet on the inside, but no standing water on the bottom.

My best guess is that the route to the drain is too long/steep and the water is draining back into the dishwasher.

Any thoughts on how to solve this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
the unit is really wet on the inside, but no standing water on the bottom.

You may have had a "heated dry" option on the last dishwasher.
If there is no standing water, then you've done what you can.

Some states require an air gap on the drain, and some want it "high looped" as high as possible under the cabinet.

Last edited:

thoppy1977

Reaction score
You may have had a "heated dry" option on the last dishwasher.
If there is no standing water, then you've done what you can.

The unit has a "heated dry" option and is on! Is it possible that the drying cycle evaporates the standing water that doesn't drain?

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
So what's the ventilation setup for your dishwasher? Without adequate ventilation, a heated dry cycle is pretty much useless. Some dishwashers
just have poor ventilation by design, and sometimes the particular installation method used results in inadequate ventilation. For instance, a d/w
with a vent outlet in the top of the door, that is installed with a tiny 1/16 inch clearance to the counter above, will have very poor ventilation.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The fact that the drain line goes "up" and over to the drain, means that it has a lot of water in it, which can drain into the dishwasher. A better route would have been to go horizontal into the sink cabinet and THEN up to the drain which would mean only the water in the "riser" would drain back.

thoppy1977

Reaction score
So what's the ventilation setup for your dishwasher? Without adequate ventilation, a heated dry cycle is pretty much useless. Some dishwashers
just have poor ventilation by design, and sometimes the particular installation method used results in inadequate ventilation. For instance, a d/w
with a vent outlet in the top of the door, that is installed with a tiny 1/16 inch clearance to the counter above, will have very poor ventilation.

This is one of the main issues I'm having with the dishwasher and I can't see a vent to the outside. There is a vent on the inside of the door, but I don't see how the air leaves the unit!

The dishwasher is a Frigidaire Model # FGBD2445NW0A

Also, since the unit isn't drying properly there is mold growing on the dishes if you don't promptly open the door after the cycle is done!

Mage182

Reaction score
I just installed a new GE dishwasher at my house and it specifically states that when you install it you have to set the feet so that there is a 3/16" gap between the top of the door when closed and the bottom of the counter. I haven't had any problems with that and I'm using a high loop to the drain (no air gap). Although I do admit that most of the time I use the 'Air Dry' option.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks