Backwash Mangox filter from storage tank instead of well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lifespeed

Reaction score
My in-laws are interested in addressing their iron issue. They have addressed 80% of the problem by simply hanging an Ozonator in their 1500 gallon storage tank, and letting the iron settle to the bottom. However, it is a pretty big maintenance chore, cleaning the Ozonator every couple weeks, and flushing out the iron settled at the bottom of the large tank.

I believe a more-effective and low-maintenance approach would be to oxidize and filter the iron before the storage tank, and store "clean" water instead. This would stop problems with their sprinklers getting plugged with particulates, and generally just keep the plumbing cleaner. Softening would be done at the house, with the irrigation split off before. A neighbor has exactly this setup and it works very well. His well flows 10 GPM and can backwash the iron filter. The Ozonator remains in the storage tank, but needs cleaning very occasionally with it's purpose changed to sterilization of the stored water instead of iron oxidation.

But here is the problem: My in-laws well is low flow, only 3 GPM or thereabouts. They need the storage tank to supply demand. Obviously this is a two pump system. The well and pressure tank feeds the storage tank, with a second pump to supply flow rate and pressure demands to the house and irrigation.

The well pump cannot backwash an iron filter, but the storage tank pump could easily. But that is not how Fleck 7000 valves are designed. I suspect most other filter valves are not designed with three ports - untreated, treated, and backwash supply.

Is their such an animal as a three-port filter valve? Or would implementing a backwashing iron filter (backwashed from the storage tank/pump) require some tricky arrangement with an electrically-operated valve to switch the filter inlet over to the storage tank.

I would think this has been addressed before.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The 7000 has the option of an Auxiliary Switch which could drive the solenoid valve to switch from well to storage for the duration of the backwash. I'm sure a good dealer could hook you up with the needed parts. Have you asked your dealer?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The 7000 microswitch is easily adpated for this. Tied into a 3 way ball valve, you can create a treated water feed backwash system. It is a little expensive, but it works. You may have to modify your well pump controll to prevent it from trying to turn on during the backwash cycle. 3-Way-Motorized-Ball-Valve-Big.jpg

Lifespeed

Reaction score
The 7000 microswitch is easily adpated for this. Tied into a 3 way ball valve, you can create a treated water feed backwash system. It is a little expensive, but it works. You may have to modify your well pump controll to prevent it from trying to turn on during the backwash cycle. View attachment 17476

Good to know the parts are available, thanks.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You say the well produces 3 gpm, but how many gpm does the well pump deliver to the storage tank, and for how long?

Or, how do you control the output of the pump in the well into the storage tank; float switch or float valve and a pressure switch and pressure tank?

How many gallons are pumped at a time?

What is the diameter of the well?

How deep in the well is the pump inlet?

What is the depth of the well?

Millions of iron filters do not use pretreated water to backwash with.

newuser2021

Reaction score
The 7000 microswitch is easily adpated for this. Tied into a 3 way ball valve, you can create a treated water feed backwash system. It is a little expensive, but it works. You may have to modify your well pump controll to prevent it from trying to turn on during the backwash cycle. View attachment 17476

Can the same be done using fleck 2510SXT. If yes how? Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Yes, the 2510 has an available auxiliary microswitch that can be used to control an external device. A solenoid or 3 way ball valve may work. You could also use a Clack valve as it has a MAV available for easy integration and is designed specifically for this application.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks