(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: backwash Mangox filter from storage tank instead of well?

Default backwash Mangox filter from storage tank instead of well?

My in-laws are interested in addressing their iron issue. They have addressed 80% of the problem by simply hanging an Ozonator in their 1500 gallon storage tank, and letting the iron settle to the bottom. However, it is a pretty big maintenance chore, cleaning the Ozonator every couple weeks, and flushing out the iron settled at the bottom of the large tank.

I believe a more-effective and low-maintenance approach would be to oxidize and filter the iron before the storage tank, and store "clean" water instead. This would stop problems with their sprinklers getting plugged with particulates, and generally just keep the plumbing cleaner. Softening would be done at the house, with the irrigation split off before. A neighbor has exactly this setup and it works very well. His well flows 10 GPM and can backwash the iron filter. The Ozonator remains in the storage tank, but needs cleaning very occasionally with it's purpose changed to sterilization of the stored water instead of iron oxidation.

But here is the problem: My in-laws well is low flow, only 3 GPM or thereabouts. They need the storage tank to supply demand. Obviously this is a two pump system. The well and pressure tank feeds the storage tank, with a second pump to supply flow rate and pressure demands to the house and irrigation.

The well pump cannot backwash an iron filter, but the storage tank pump could easily. But that is not how Fleck 7000 valves are designed. I suspect most other filter valves are not designed with three ports - untreated, treated, and backwash supply.

Is their such an animal as a three-port filter valve? Or would implementing a backwashing iron filter (backwashed from the storage tank/pump) require some tricky arrangement with an electrically-operated valve to switch the filter inlet over to the storage tank.

I would think this has been addressed before.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

The 7000 has the option of an Auxiliary Switch which could drive the solenoid valve to switch from well to storage for the duration of the backwash. I'm sure a good dealer could hook you up with the needed parts. Have you asked your dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
    Have you asked your dealer?
    No, I've done DIY so far, but the installation was simpler on my municipal supply.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The 7000 microswitch is easily adpated for this. Tied into a 3 way ball valve, you can create a treated water feed backwash system. It is a little expensive, but it works. You may have to modify your well pump controll to prevent it from trying to turn on during the backwash cycle. Name:  3-Way-Motorized-Ball-Valve-Big.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  13.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ditttohead View Post
    The 7000 microswitch is easily adpated for this. Tied into a 3 way ball valve, you can create a treated water feed backwash system. It is a little expensive, but it works. You may have to modify your well pump controll to prevent it from trying to turn on during the backwash cycle. Name:  3-Way-Motorized-Ball-Valve-Big.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  13.0 KB
    Good to know the parts are available, thanks.

You say the well produces 3 gpm, but how many gpm does the well pump deliver to the storage tank, and for how long?

Or, how do you control the output of the pump in the well into the storage tank; float switch or float valve and a pressure switch and pressure tank?

How many gallons are pumped at a time?

What is the diameter of the well?

How deep in the well is the pump inlet?

What is the depth of the well?

Millions of iron filters do not use pretreated water to backwash with.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.