how much carbon in 10 X 54 tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lifespeed

Reaction score
with a gravel underbed? I have 1.5 cu ft right now in 10 X 54 tank with a Fleck 7000 unmetered valve. I realize those 6 GPM bath fills and a few other occasions are somewhat over the service flow rate.

I can't smell chloramine anymore, although that isn't scientific. Any recommends on accurate, but reasonably-priced chloramine test kit? I mean, if it is $50 for the test kit I may as well buy another 1/2 cu ft of Centaur . . .

Can I run 2 cu ft in this tank?

MagKarl

Reaction score
My 1.5cf softener is a 10x54. My 2cf carbon tank is a 12x48. You need some freeboard so you can backwash effectively. You may lose some media if you put 2cf in a 10x54.

Lifespeed

Reaction score
I looked into this and it appears 2 cu ft carbon filters are typically provided in a 12" X 54" tank. I'll probably just run this for 3 - 4 years, and when it is time to replace the carbon spring for the larger tank also.

Flow rates in excess of the rated 3.75 GPM are not that common. My understanding is Centaur carbon will often do a good job at removing chloramine even when the service flow rate is exceeded slightly.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
A 10x54 is technically rated for 1.3 cu. ft. with a 50% freeboard (1/3 emty, 2/3 GAC or other media). We regularly use this tank with 1.5 Cu. Ft., slightly exceeding the tank exact design.

A 12x52 is designed for 1.8 cu. ft, but again, we push this slightly to 2 cu. ft.

Chloramine is usually estimated by using a free and total chlorine test kit. Chloramines is calculated by subtracting the Total Chlorine reading from the Free Chlorine reading. (TC –FC = CC).

Hope this helps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks