(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: how much carbon in 10 X 54 tank?

Hybrid View

Default how much carbon in 10 X 54 tank?

with a gravel underbed? I have 1.5 cu ft right now in 10 X 54 tank with a Fleck 7000 unmetered valve. I realize those 6 GPM bath fills and a few other occasions are somewhat over the service flow rate.

I can't smell chloramine anymore, although that isn't scientific. Any recommends on accurate, but reasonably-priced chloramine test kit? I mean, if it is $50 for the test kit I may as well buy another 1/2 cu ft of Centaur . . .

Can I run 2 cu ft in this tank?

My 1.5cf softener is a 10x54. My 2cf carbon tank is a 12x48. You need some freeboard so you can backwash effectively. You may lose some media if you put 2cf in a 10x54.

I looked into this and it appears 2 cu ft carbon filters are typically provided in a 12" X 54" tank. I'll probably just run this for 3 - 4 years, and when it is time to replace the carbon spring for the larger tank also.

Flow rates in excess of the rated 3.75 GPM are not that common. My understanding is Centaur carbon will often do a good job at removing chloramine even when the service flow rate is exceeded slightly.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A 10x54 is technically rated for 1.3 cu. ft. with a 50% freeboard (1/3 emty, 2/3 GAC or other media). We regularly use this tank with 1.5 Cu. Ft., slightly exceeding the tank exact design.

A 12x52 is designed for 1.8 cu. ft, but again, we push this slightly to 2 cu. ft.

Chloramine is usually estimated by using a free and total chlorine test kit. Chloramines is calculated by subtracting the Total Chlorine reading from the Free Chlorine reading. (TC –FC = CC).

Hope this helps.