Plumping newbie, need help identifying faucet/steam and removing a diverter from such

Users who are viewing this thread

MJayDee82

Reaction score
Good Day Everyone,

I've been looking all over the internet for help and I haven't been able to find any information and home depot/ace hardware haven't been of much help either.

I've been having trouble with my shower leaking from the stems and the faucet while the shower is on. I wager after some research it was a problem with the diverter. So me and a friend from work where going to redo my shower walls anyway so when i knocked down the wall I notice it was also leaking when the diverter wasn't up either. I proceed to remove the stems with no problem, but the diverter is another issue. I can't seem to remove it, even after removing the packing nut in front of it. I continue to turn it counterclockwise but it just spins forever, the duct tape was purely there so i could tell if i was making any progress in the steam moving outward.

I inherited the house after my parents passed away a few years ago, but i never got to find out what kind of fixtures these are. I've included pics of the faucet and the stem from the hot and cold valves. Any info on how to remove the diverter stem, and an I.D. on the old steam since no one i've asked has been able to tell me what brand/type they are. Thanks in advance!

100_1960.JPG100_1961.JPG100_1962.JPG100_1963.JPG

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My first thought...do yourself a favor and replace that valve with a new one that will meet current plumbing codes...that would require one with anti-scald technology. While the wall is open it is a piece of cake. The washers and maybe the seat need to be replaced, along with possibly the packing on the stem shown. Not sure how to get the divertor out. It's probably just got some mineral deposits and it needs some persuasion.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A photo of the handles and trim would help identify, BUT jad is correct.....you obviously have a remodel in progress and the plumbing inspector will NOT allow you to leave a non scald protected valve. And why would you want to?? This is the perfect opportunity to put in a modern valve. Do you want to install a new tile job, hopefully to last 20+ years, leaving a valve which may already be 30 years old.??

MJayDee82

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the trim and handle. I'm honestly not to sure of myself on replacing the valve right now. It was a difficult enough job to just get to this point. I'm extremely ignorant on home repair things such as this and my friend is just as clueless, we got the other walls up and we're going to do a simple tub surround once i fix this leak. At this point I'm honestly just looking to stop this current leak so i can go back to my normal life and actually get a shower.

IMG-20121008-00134.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Handles could be Sayco or American Standard. Stem looks more like the AmStd. Take it to a good plumbing supply house. The local hardware store is not likely to stock very old stuff like this.

MJayDee82

Reaction score
Thank you so much, I've been referred to a local plumping store that is suppose to "have everything, including the hard to find stuff" so hopefully they'll have them. Still trying to figure out how to get the diverter stem out.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You might have a shower arm leak too. That's a lot of water tracking in that will coming from up high.

The wall is open, why would you install parts into that old valve? I would pick up something new from a major label, Moen, Delta, Koher, HansGrohe,

If you stay with the old relic, at least replace the galvanized piping for the tub spout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks