Recessed outlet Ice maker Box

Users who are viewing this thread

gmilburn

Reaction score
background: I live in an upper unit condo with common use water (no individual unit shut-off) in L.A. county Ca and all copper lines.

Problem: I purchased a counter depth fridge and the water outlet valve prevents the fridge from recessing completely thereby preventing the dishwasher door from opening completely (rests on side of fridge door).

My solution: Installing a recessed outlet box

Problem 2: When I called a local plumber to come out, I was given a quote of $11-1200 which I felt was outrageous. His explanation was that they needed to run a new new line from the basement level up to the unit.

My assumption: Because the line was located against the stud, I thought a 45 connector (angled to back center of cavity), a short piece of pipe, another 45 (to achieve vertical again) and then connect to outlet box assembly, re-brace pipe, and bleed the line. It seems simple to me and about $50 in materials. I figure for $1100 I'll learn to how to sweat pipe.

Am I missing something? Is there some code that requires the plumber's scenario?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Sight-unseen, I can't figure why a new line is necessary. The labor will add up, because co-ordinating with condo management for permission to shut off the water invariably has delays involved

gmilburn

Reaction score
That was my thinking as well. I could actually have the whole assembly pre-done and then shut off the water and sweat one joint taking maybe 10 mins total w/o water.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Where is the sink? If it is in an adjacent cabinet the water line can be run from it, and thus the water only has to be shut off long enough to cap the existing valve, possibly with a Sharkbite cap so it could be done in minutes. You are missing the "insurance policy" that you would need if your neophyte solder joint fails and floods the building.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Problem: I purchased a counter depth fridge and the water outlet valve prevents the fridge from recessing completely thereby preventing the dishwasher door from opening completely (rests on side of fridge door).

It sounds like you need a second opinion.
If you have water behind the fridge now, there should be no reason to add a second water line there.
If the existing water shutoff behind the fridge needs to be recessed, that's a pretty simple job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks