Shower faucet problem

Users who are viewing this thread

lovelycdn

Reaction score
First time poster. Here's my problem.

I have an old shower system (different hot and cold water faucets). Today, when I turned on the shower, the HOT water faucet broke off and water started gushing out. I quickly turned off the water supply.

I then replaced the cartridge since all the o-rings and springs drained down when the water gushed. I put everything back together and when I turn on the water supply, the water does not stop coming out from the spout (let me clarify - it is not LEAKING a small amount, but water is coming out like the faucet is on - HOWEVER, the faucet is in the off position. When I take it to on position, the water level increases even more, but in the off position a lot of water is still coming out like the faucet is in the on position).

What is wrong?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It sounds like you did not get an exact match or you didn't put it together properly.

lovelycdn

Reaction score
The cartridge is an exact match, I made sure of that. In fact, I had got a plumber just a month before to change the cartridge. I got the same one from Home Depot this time also. How can I make sure it is put together properly? Will posting pictures here help ?

lovelycdn

Reaction score
I was able to fix this, I had the right cartridge but didn't put the seat and spring in the right order (had it backwards). All fixed now.

However, I am still not sure why the water burst out. What could have caused that?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The retainer cap was not tightened, or it was cross threaded, OR, the thread on the valve body is damaged so the cap does not tighten properly, and if so it may come off again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks