(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No drain trap is ok?

Default No drain trap is ok?

Hi this is the first posting. We purchased the old house last year and have doing some updating.

We asked the local company in chicago to replace the tub and add the shower room in the basement. It took almost three weeks to complete and we started to use since last week. We noticed that the odd smells come from the shower drain and found out that there is no ptrap there in the shower drain. They said that the toilet had ptrap so the shower drain is not installed any trap since toilet has the one. I do not know that they are certified plumber. Do you have any idea that we could solve this issue? We paid for $9000 for this project. Thank you so much for your help.

Every fixture needs it's own trap. The toilet trap has NOTHING to do with the shower drain.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Your "plumber" was not a real plumber. He wasn't even a decent handyman. Even a weekend DIY should know that every fixture that connects to a drain needs a vented P trap. That means each fixture in the house. A toilet does its trap built in, but sinks, tubs, showers, basins, washers, floor drains, humidifier drains, and any fixture that is connected to a drain must have a P trap that is properly vented. If you have not paid for this work, don't. If you have sue for a full refund. If the "company" is a legit company, then they did not do a check on the qualification of this worker. If this is a shady company, then they need to be put out of business.
    Last edited by Gary Swart; 10-04-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Default Thank you so much for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swart View Post
    Your "plumber" was not a real plumber. He wasn't even a decent handyman. Even a weekend DIY should know that every fixture that connects to a drain needs a vented P trap. That means each fixture in the house. A toilet does its trap built in, but sinks, tubs, showers, basins, washers, floor drains, humidifier drains, and any fixture that is connected to a drain must have a P trap that is properly vented. If you have not paid for this work, don't. If you have sue for a full refund. If the "company" is a legit company, then they did not do a check on the qualification of this worker. If this is a shady company, then they need to be put out of business.
    Today, they told me that there are actually ptraps in the shower drain and the tub drain. I looked down from the shower drain and saw the 120 degree curved pipe, but there is no water even the shower is running.

Do you have any idea where else I find ptrap other than the drain? Is it between the shower drain and the tub drain?

Thank you so much.

A trap should be directly beneath the fixture, and there should be one for every fixture. A double sink can be single trapped, but that's the only one. You should be able to use a flashlight and peer into a drain and see water standing. That's the sign of a P trap in place. The water in the trap seals the drain so sewer gas does not enter the house. If you are getting sewer gas smell through the drain(s) there's something amiss in the traps.

Thank you sssooo much for your help. i am a stayhome mother and have no idea.

I could not see any water standing using flashlight. However, they said there are ptraps each. Other than the beneath of the drain, where can I assume? They are coming tomorrow to bring the camera to check where the odd smell are coming. is anything aware of? Thank you so much.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Run water in the sink, then go over to the shower drain and listen. If you can hear water draining from the shower drain location, there is no p-trap.

Normally for a shower, you will see the water directly below the drain grid.
    They could have 90'd over to a p-trap, but frankly that is almost never, ever done.

A tub, shower and sink all need p-traps.
    The toilet plumbing in the floor does not have a trap; the trap for the toilet is designed into the bowl.

A shoddy workman could install the trap somewhere and then pipe to the shower drain location. Flush the toilet and listen at the shower drain. IF you hear the water running there is no trap. since he gave you two different explanations, one, that it did not need a trap, and then, that there is one but you cannot see it, implies that he does not know if he put one in or not. Call your city or state contractor licensing department and see if he is a licensed contractor. Depending on whether he is or not could determine how they would handle your situation.
    Last edited by hj; 10-04-2012 at 06:27 PM.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Thank you very much. I will test one more time. I wish you were in Chicago. Thanks.

quote; I wish you were in Chicago

Why? What did I ever do to you? Actually, my son asked me one time if I ever wanted to move back to Chicago, and I told him, "No, my mom didn't raise any stupid kids". The "blizzard" of '68 was enough, except I moved to Michigan where it was lke that every year, so I decided to move here where it only snowed every 10 years or so.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joy927 View Post
    I wish you were in Chicago..
    SewerRatz is in Chicago and I'm sure he would render an honest opinion.

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/memb...0482-SewerRatz

Today, they found out that there is no ptrap under the drain, but they said that ptrap might share with the tub using Y pipe. Is this common to share ptrap? They said they can start over if I do not like. I asked them to bring the camera next time. Hope they will.

Is it okay if they are not certified plumber? Can they still do business? I thought these workers would have some licence. I

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    quote; I wish you were in Chicago

Why? What did I ever do to you?

I mean I can ask you to come to take a look my bathroom. I do not know any trusted pluming guy here yet. We are new here.

Quote Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
    SewerRatz is in Chicago and I'm sure he would render an honest opinion.

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/memb...0482-SewerRatz
    Thank you, I think I will contact with him for any future project.