(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Where is the smell coming from??????

  1. #1
    DIY Member royerm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    91

    Default Where is the smell coming from??????

    I currently have a Greenway (Sanitizer) system which has CR-100 zeolite and KDF-85
    in a 10x54 tank with a Clack valve.

    I'm now back to the original problem which is .....If I open a tap, the water has NO smell for 40 ounces than I get a smell for the next 40 ounces
    and than OK for as long as I draw water. And this scenario repeats itself very constantly.

    Somehow these media works, otherwise I would get a constant smell just like before I added the KDF ????

    No slime in toilet tank.

    I'd like to get and understand the origin of the smell....before I get to any modification.

    Regards.

  2. #2
    DIY Member royerm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by royerm View Post
    I currently have a Greenway (Sanitizer) system which has CR-100 zeolite and KDF-85
    in a 10x54 tank with a Clack valve.

    I'm now back to the original problem which is .....If I open a tap, the water has NO smell for 40 ounces than I get a smell for the next 40 ounces
    and than OK for as long as I draw water. And this scenario repeats itself very constantly.

    Somehow these media works, otherwise I would get a constant smell just like before I added the KDF ????

    No slime in toilet tank.

    I'd like to get and understand the origin of the smell....before I get to any modification.

    Regards.
    I'll repost to see if anyone has an idea....Thx

  3. #3
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,796

    Default

    What do you mean back to the original problem?

    What does the odor smell like?

    Is it in the cold water, hot water or both?

    Are you on your own well or city water?
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  4. #4
    DIY Member royerm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    What do you mean back to the original problem?

    What does the odor smell like?

    Is it in the cold water, hot water or both?

    Are you on your own well or city water?

    After putting the KDF-85 at the bottom as it was suppose to be
    I'm back with with an intermittent H2S smell as explained in original message.
    It is on cold or hot water and any tap in the house, it is a well...
    Thx

  5. #5
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,796

    Default

    The rinse time of the softener could be a bit too short and running it a couple minutes longer might help; if yours is adjustable.

    You can sanitize the softener with a 1/3 cup of non scented regular bleach and see if that stops the odor. Otherwise you could have a broken bladder in the pressure tank or bacteria growth in the plumbing past the softener.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  6. #6
    Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,712
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    In order for KDF 85 to be effective, a certain quantity should be used, and the backwash rates of the system must be followed. If you are combining medias, it is unlikely that you are backwashing the media at the proper rate for KDF 85 to be effective. How many pounds did you put in? Check out this link, it has the tank diameter, qty, and backwash rates spelled out. The frequency is also important. When KDF is added to systems improperly, it is usually ineffective, and is done purely for marketing reasons. My own system has a large KDF tank, but it is done in the right size tank, the right amount, and it is backwashed properly, except for the frequency. I have been testing KDF for over 15 years, and I feel I am fairly good with using it. We sell 10's of thousands of pounds a year all over the world, unfortunately, the majority of it is misapplied. A small residential application should have approximately 57 pounds of KDF. Smaller amounts can be used depending on the contaminant removal and system design.

    http://www.kdfft.com/success_hydrogen.htm
    http://www.kdfft.com/images/kdf_POESheet.pdf

  7. #7
    DIY Member royerm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    The rinse time of the softener could be a bit too short and running it a couple minutes longer might help; if yours is adjustable.

    You can sanitize the softener with a 1/3 cup of non scented regular bleach and see if that stops the odor. Otherwise you could have a broken bladder in the pressure tank or bacteria growth in the plumbing past the softener.
    Rinse time has been doubled, 4min to 8 min.
    This softener has a chlorinator on it.
    Bladder is good, I have a small tank with a CSV valve by the way....

  8. #8
    DIY Member ByteMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Midland Texas
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Try walking up to some strange lady and saying "Where is the smell coming from??????"

    In here, perfectly acceptable.

  9. #9
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by royerm View Post
    Rinse time has been doubled, 4min to 8 min.
    This softener has a chlorinator on it.
    Bladder is good, I have a small tank with a CSV valve by the way....
    The Sanitizer does not chlorinate the water though. It at best is supposed to keep the resin bed from bacteria colonization. In other words it does not treat your water in any way.

    That 4 minutes was way to short and the 8 minutes could be a couple minutes too short but try it and see how things go.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  10. #10
    DIY Member royerm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    The Sanitizer does not chlorinate the water though. It at best is supposed to keep the resin bed from bacteria colonization. In other words it does not treat your water in any way.

    That 4 minutes was way to short and the 8 minutes could be a couple minutes too short but try it and see how things go.
    Agree with you that the chlorinator doesn't chlorinate the water and it's been on 8 minutes for 6 months...

  11. #11
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,796

    Default

    Then increase it a few more minutes.... and see what it does.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  12. #12
    DIY Member royerm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    Then increase it a few more minutes.... and see what it does.
    Will do....nothing to loose.

Similar Threads

  1. Urine smell coming from toilet
    By justinweible in forum Toilet Forum discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-11-2011, 10:00 PM
  2. sweet smell coming off of baseboard heaters
    By yarrow in forum HVAC Heating & Cooling
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 11:21 AM
  3. Smell coming from one faucet and not the other
    By CentralTXPreacher in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2011, 12:36 PM
  4. smell coming from central air system
    By jeremytl in forum HVAC Heating & Cooling
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 06:18 PM
  5. Smell coming from kitchen sink
    By wire2fiber2 in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-10-2010, 06:44 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •