Trouble removing bathroom fixture...

Users who are viewing this thread

pdrmant

Reaction score
I can't seem to find a tool or method that works for untwisting this strange nut.
It's the one at the right of the pic. One for each handle. Is there some type of tool built for this?

photo(21).JPG

Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You do NOT take this type of faucet out/ or apart from the underside. Remove the handle and trim, and there will be a nut holding it in. Take that off and the valve drops DOWN. A photo of the top would help us explain

pdrmant

Reaction score
use a basin wrench from underneath
Tried this, but my basin wrench wouldn't get wide enough to grip the "nodes".
I'm having a little success removing them from the top, as jimbo advised, but the whole section spins.
As you can see, the faucets are corroded and quite old. I'm having a really hard time getting any twist or progress.
I've been using vice grips on the geared protrusion shown to hold the unit in place while I use a crescent wrench, hair dryer, wd40 (all I've got at home), and some hammering. Painfully slow.

Any suggestions for the bolt?

Thanks.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
By the way, that nut is an electrical lock nut, which should be regular pipe thread. A pair of pliers should be able to grab it, but its difficult to figure out from here if there is enough room to fit in that area. You will have to be careful not to damage the basin, but you MAY be able to jam something like a large screwdriver in there to keep the nut from turning and try turning the valve body again, but as Jimb said, it may not be removable from the top up, as the valve body casting and it port may not fit through the hole. A Fein oscillating saw or cheap knockoff will be able to cut that inlet port off and allow it to fit through the hole Safety Googles are a must here.

Good luck

pdrmant

Reaction score
If I were to go at this thing with a dremel, would I first remove (smash) the fitting that's so corroded to get to where I'm beneath the strangely shaped nut at the top. Then cut beneath the nut?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will have to remove the top fitting and let the stems drop down. You may be able to use a drill bit to "cut" through the nut. Just a series of holes until you have a cut that can be pried off.

You may want to score it with a new hack saw blade a few times.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
That is NOT an electrical locknut, nor is it a "pipe thread". It is a "proprietary" locknut designed by the faucet manufacturer for THEIR faucet.
To a hammer, everything looks like a nail. :eek:

Still, it looks like some cutting will be involved. On the other hand, if this sink basin is not very expensive, it may just be better to start with a new sink and new faucet. it's easy for me to spend your money, lol

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; it may just be better to start with a new sink and new faucet

If you don't want to bother with dumping the ashtray, you can trade in your car for a new one, also.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
quote; it may just be better to start with a new sink and new faucet

If you don't want to bother with dumping the ashtray, you can trade in your car for a new one, also.
I don't smoke, but when the car is really dirty, I buy a new one:p Obama says I am entitled to do that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks