where to buy PE pipe for mainline replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

tikicarver

Reaction score
I need to replace a leaking main water supply line. The current line would a big expensive job to replace. Got a quote of approximately $3000 for a trenchless replacement job.
The guy did mention that I could save a lot of money if I ran a new line in put it in myself, then just pay a plumber with the right tools to hook it up.
He recommended using PE pipe.

Anyone know where I can buy 1" PE pipe online? I live in a small town and the nearest Home Depot does not carry it.
Also, are their DIY fittings I can use or do I need to have a plumber install fusion fittings.

thanks

Plumber1979

Certified Plumber
Reaction score
then dont go trenchless, you gonna dig 4 to 6ft down, and however long your front yard is. if not get hone depot to bring it in.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your Home Depot doesn't carry PE ? Are you sure? It's the black plastic stuff that comes in rolls. Try aisle 5 right next to the water pumps and tanks

tikicarver

Reaction score
Didn't see it last time I was there. I'll check again.
(it wouldn't surprise me since I'm told our HD is the smallest in the country)
There is a Lowes about an hr drive away, do they carry it?

Also, is 1" the right size to use?
Currently I see 1" coming off the water meter and 1" going into the house, but in between is 1 1/4" PVC.
I'm thinking since there is 1" on either side of the PVC, it doesn't need to be 1 1/4'.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yea, 1" is what you need. Lowe's has it also. comes in 100 and 300 foot rolls

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I only use brass or stainless steel insert fittings with two opposing clamps. You will have to adapt using an insert x male fitting once you are inside the foundation. Adapt to copper, pex or cpvc. stay away from plastic or nylon fittings. They leak.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your 1" PE pipe will be approximately the same size as 3/4" copper, so you might want to increase to 1 1/4" to stay at the same size you have now.

tikicarver

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I stopped by my local Home Depot, they don't have PE pipe except for some small diameter stuff.
They do have 1" white PEX.

I read on another forum that you can use PEX for a main water supply line but it has to be sleeved.
If given the choice would you use PEX or PE for a main water supply line.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
160lb. 1" PE has an inside diameter of 1.062 while 3/4" type L copper has an inside diameter of .0758 The difference isn .309 which is more than 1/4" We use 1" PE for probably 90% of all deeep well pump installations, including the run from the pump to the house. You can run PEX and you do have to sleeve it and it is more expensive. Can you get Home Depot to order you a roll of PE?

tikicarver

Reaction score
So local Home Depot doesn't have it and the guy didn't even know what I was talking about. I checked with Lowes, they have it on their website, but I checked 3 local stores and
none of them carry it and they didn't know what i was talking about. Even checked two plumbing supply stores, they don't carry it. One in Burbank and the other in Bakersfield, CA.
Finally found a wholesale guy in Bakersfield that has it but his min is 500ft roll.
I'm beginning to think it is not allowed in Southern CA because no one carries it.

I can get it online but was trying to get it sooner because I have a leak in the main line to my house.

Anyone know a place in the Los Angles area where I can get it?
or a good online dealer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have to find a plumber who has a roll of it and will cut off what you need. If your PE has that i.d., then it has to be IPS schedule size, but he would probably receive CTS sized pipe which has an o.d. of 1.125 and a relatively small i.d. due to the wall thickness.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I really don't know squat about PE pipe, but a quick online search shows JM Eagle PE pipe is sold in several places in Bakersfield as well as some other places reasonable close to you. I would recommend you consider a large size than 1". This is not a time to try to save a few dollars on pipe that may be a bit too small.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks