Unidentified "Squeak" Pipe Noise

Users who are viewing this thread

newhomeownerchicago

Reaction score
Hi all - Newcomer here. My wife and I recently moved into a new construction home that has the "endless" hot water system (i.e., not the standard hot water tank). It's a big square box in our basement.

The basement is furnished and we have a guest room down there. Unfortunately, there is a loud "squeak" noise that appears to be coming from inside the wall from sort of pipe. It is related to the water system, as it happens when the system runs or shortly thereafter. The sound emanates near the water system (within 10-15 feet or so) but not at the system itself. It happens pretty regularly, and we don't want guests in our home to be bothered by it if they are sleeping in the guest room.

I created a video where you can hear the squeak twice, once right when the video starts at about 1 second in. Then, you can hear it again at the 0:36 point. You can hear the water system turn on at around 0:31. There are also some other noises at 0:20 and 0:29 and 0:35. Seems like a lot of noise for 39 seconds. Is that normal? The squeak is definitely the worst one, and the one we want to eliminate - what is that??

Here is the video on YouTube, any help would be much appreciated!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2_cvzGajuA

[video=youtube;t2_cvzGajuA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2_cvzGajuA[/video]

-Peter

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When pipes (both the water and vent) change temperature, they expand or contract. If the pipe goes through a stud or a clamp where it is too tight, once it gets enough pressure, it will rapidly slide and this can sound like a squeak. Could be other things...

newhomeownerchicago

Reaction score
When pipes (both the water and vent) change temperature, they expand or contract. If the pipe goes through a stud or a clamp where it is too tight, once it gets enough pressure, it will rapidly slide and this can sound like a squeak. Could be other things...

Thank you. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks