(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Unidentified "Squeak" Pipe Noise

DIY Junior Member newhomeownerchicago's Avatar

Default Unidentified "Squeak" Pipe Noise

Hi all - Newcomer here. My wife and I recently moved into a new construction home that has the "endless" hot water system (i.e., not the standard hot water tank). It's a big square box in our basement.

The basement is furnished and we have a guest room down there. Unfortunately, there is a loud "squeak" noise that appears to be coming from inside the wall from sort of pipe. It is related to the water system, as it happens when the system runs or shortly thereafter. The sound emanates near the water system (within 10-15 feet or so) but not at the system itself. It happens pretty regularly, and we don't want guests in our home to be bothered by it if they are sleeping in the guest room.

I created a video where you can hear the squeak twice, once right when the video starts at about 1 second in. Then, you can hear it again at the 0:36 point. You can hear the water system turn on at around 0:31. There are also some other noises at 0:20 and 0:29 and 0:35. Seems like a lot of noise for 39 seconds. Is that normal? The squeak is definitely the worst one, and the one we want to eliminate - what is that??

Here is the video on YouTube, any help would be much appreciated!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2_cvzGajuA

-Peter
    Last edited by Terry; 10-03-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

When pipes (both the water and vent) change temperature, they expand or contract. If the pipe goes through a stud or a clamp where it is too tight, once it gets enough pressure, it will rapidly slide and this can sound like a squeak. Could be other things...
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

DIY Junior Member newhomeownerchicago's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    When pipes (both the water and vent) change temperature, they expand or contract. If the pipe goes through a stud or a clamp where it is too tight, once it gets enough pressure, it will rapidly slide and this can sound like a squeak. Could be other things...
    Thank you. Does anyone else have any thoughts?