Well Setup Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Snakebit12

Reaction score
I could use some explanation on the well setup on a property that we recently acquired.

Here is what we know:
1. There are two pressure tanks on the property - one is in the basement and the other is in the horse stable.
2. We have one well.
3. There are well breakers in the fuse boxes in both the basement and stable.
4. The stable was built and the well drilled before the house was built.
4. If you fill the horse tank from the stable spigot, the water pressure drops on both pressure tanks although they each seem to level off around 40 PSI.
5. When the pump kicks in, the house tank goes to 60 PSI; the stable tank to 80 PSI.
6. There is a disconnected wire wrapped around the well head.

Based on this fact pattern, this is my theory:

1. The wiring in the stable was to run the pump before the house was built so that the stable had water.
2. When the house was built and the basement pressure tank installed, the wire from the stable was disconnected and wrapped around the well head (I should turn off the well pump breaker in the stable).
3 A wire was run from the basement pressure tank to the well pump.
3. A water line was run from the house to the stable through the stable pressure tank to increase the pressure at the stable faucet which is 150' from the house.

Are my conclusions reasonable?

John (aka Snakebit12)

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sounds about right. The pressure tank at the stable is showing higher pressure probably because of friction loss in the line between the two tank. Other than that I don't see any problems. Are you having issues with the way it works?

Snakebit12

Reaction score
No issues per se...was hoping to eliminate the stable tank from the process as it is susceptible to freezing. But I suspect that the water pressure in the stable would suffer so I'll try a heat lamp during cold weather.

Thanks for your response.

bcpumpguy

Reaction score
5. When the pump kicks in, the house tank goes to 60 PSI; the stable tank to 80 PSI.

if you do not use any water after the pump kicks on do they even out to the same pressure? where is the pressure switch?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks