Am I going to poison my dogs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jonathan Kozolchyk

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I made a simple water fountain for my dogs using a small fountain pump and "utility grade" copper tubing (3/8" OD) that I bought from Lowes. Is Utility Grade copper tubing safe for potable water? I didn't solder anything, just bent the pipe to get it out of the way and put a fitting on it to keep the sharp ends out of puppy reach.

Here's a picture of the fountain (don't laugh at the bends! it gets the job done!):

photo (5).jpg

Thanks!

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
poison? no. electrocute or kill them if the pump should fail? possibly. i would have the plump plugged into a GFCI outlet to be safe, if not just abandon the idea. Why is it needed?

Jonathan Kozolchyk

Reaction score
Thanks Chad! I have the pump plugged into a GFCI outlet. I don't know why, but the dogs like moving water. There are many similar fountains on the market, but they're all a pain to clean. My home made one is a lot easier to maintain.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
quote; "refrigeration" grade where the tubing is
cleaned, filled with moisture-free gas, and plugged, so as to avoid contamination of the refrigerant used in A/C&Refrig. machinery.

It is also to prevent oxidation inside the tubing which could damage the components.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks