Can't get a good seal on a Rivers Edge Whitehall Lane toilet bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Clean the flange off well, and then check to make sure that it isn't cracked. While a pain, have you flipped the toilet on its side to check and see anything? Some people have reported casting defects that were filled (poorly), and they either fell out or never were made properly in the first place.

Tadst34

Reaction score
Yes, I looked at the bottom of the toilet thoroughly. I have not seen any moisture on the underside of the bowl part.

The flange is not cracked. There are however burs on the flange, but they are below where the wax would sit.

Tadst34

Reaction score
Rivers Edge Whitehall Lane toilet

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

So I found the problem. El cheapo is correct.

There is a hole I am pointing to with my screwdriver.

I contacted the company and the toilet is out of warranty.

What do you all think if I plug that hole up with a big wad of wax? I am sure that will stop the leak for a while, but definitely is not the correct way to do it.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm going back on my vow to leave this thread alone, but the best solution to this problem is an 8 lb sledge hammer. Then get a Toto Drake and live happily ever after. Wax plug? Maybe as a very temporary stop gap measure.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You might try some Silicone on that. It seems a little odd that water is leaking there, but then I've seen water leaking out of the front of a bowl on the outside, kinda near that location. That was on a brand new bowl installation. Your leak, being on the inside was harder to find.

Tadst34

Reaction score
Thanks Terry for posting the picture and the reply. Do you think silicone will hold up better than wax?

I hate to have three different types of toilets in the house. My other toilet is a Mansfield Barrett, which I like a lot but hard to find locally.

Tadst34

Reaction score
Ok, I'm gonna try JB weld - Waterweld. Heard good things. It's worth a try, although it isn't very professional!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If it works, you have saved yourself $200. If not, Gary's sledgehammer idea would probably at least be kind of fun given how much work you put into finding that hole. I take it that the orange-ish moisture near the hole is food coloring. It's amazing how much the dye test helps because if I saw that hole without the dye near it I would probably just assume that it was part of the casting and in a location that it wasn't likely to be the problem.

If you do need a new toilet, the original Drake is now a very good buy in that price range, given the quality of the build and the effectiveness of the flush.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks