(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't get a good seal on a Rivers Edge Whitehall Lane toilet bowl

Yet another Google using the River's edge name, and still nothing pertaining to a toilet of any kind. I'll not waste more forum time or my time on this topic.

This toilet I am working on now never rocked. The other two in the house do, but that will be a different day because this is the worst one.

It was always solid to the floor and didn't move. Also, I was very careful to push the wax down evenly. Some places say rock it back and forth till it hit the floor but I didn't do that I pushed it down even.

The tank does not leak it is under the bowl. I stick a piece of paper under the bowl after a few flushes it is wet.

If the toilet is el cheapo do you really think two of three would fail after 4 years?

Like I said, it is just a local company. Not a nationwide toilet manufacturer.

Any suggestions on a good toilet I can buy at Home Depot?
    Or just go with the toto?

Well, I think you have a couple of issues. First, these may not be great toilets, but unless it's defective or broken, I'm not sure that you need to replace it unless you want to. And we haven't figured out whether it's the toilet or something else that is the problem. Those ridges aren't the problem, because if you use enough wax, it's going to extrude into there, at least as I read your description. If this isn't rocking and is solid, you shouldn't be getting water in there with a couple of flushes.

Where are you putting the paper again?

Have you tried dye to see if there is a crack?

You can have a Toto Drake (the regular Drake CST744E or CST744S) for what you would pay at a big box -- around $200, give or take -- just look at Terry's current price list for the regular Drake and you'll see he's in that range. Hondle with your local supplier and you should be able to get it for that range, regardless of what the list price is. But it would truly suck if you got your new Toto in and discovered that there's a crack in the pipe or a backup that's running out under the flange or something that I'm just guessing at because I can't look at your setup. You would love the Toto, but it wouldn't solve your problem.

Putting the paper between the bowl and the floor in the front as far back as I can push it. That one gets wet. Then two other pieces by the flange bolts in the back on both side. They don't appear wet.

I am going to try the dye test tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Happy to help. Thanks for the explanation, because it's a little easier to visualize. Good luck, and keep us informed.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Clean the flange off well, and then check to make sure that it isn't cracked. While a pain, have you flipped the toilet on its side to check and see anything? Some people have reported casting defects that were filled (poorly), and they either fell out or never were made properly in the first place.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Yes, I looked at the bottom of the toilet thoroughly. I have not seen any moisture on the underside of the bowl part.

The flange is not cracked. There are however burs on the flange, but they are below where the wax would sit.

Default Rivers Edge Whitehall Lane toilet

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  27.6 KB

Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  26.0 KB

So I found the problem. El cheapo is correct.

There is a hole I am pointing to with my screwdriver.

I contacted the company and the toilet is out of warranty.

What do you all think if I plug that hole up with a big wad of wax? I am sure that will stop the leak for a while, but definitely is not the correct way to do it.

Last edited by Terry; 10-03-2012 at 01:36 PM.

I'm going back on my vow to leave this thread alone, but the best solution to this problem is an 8 lb sledge hammer. Then get a Toto Drake and live happily ever after. Wax plug? Maybe as a very temporary stop gap measure.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You might try some Silicone on that. It seems a little odd that water is leaking there, but then I've seen water leaking out of the front of a bowl on the outside, kinda near that location. That was on a brand new bowl installation. Your leak, being on the inside was harder to find.

Thanks Terry for posting the picture and the reply. Do you think silicone will hold up better than wax?

I hate to have three different types of toilets in the house. My other toilet is a Mansfield Barrett, which I like a lot but hard to find locally.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Frankly, I've never tried to seal a hole like that. Thinking about it, maybe epoxy would be better.

Ok, I'm gonna try JB weld - Waterweld. Heard good things. It's worth a try, although it isn't very professional!

If it works, you have saved yourself $200. If not, Gary's sledgehammer idea would probably at least be kind of fun given how much work you put into finding that hole. I take it that the orange-ish moisture near the hole is food coloring. It's amazing how much the dye test helps because if I saw that hole without the dye near it I would probably just assume that it was part of the casting and in a location that it wasn't likely to be the problem.

If you do need a new toilet, the original Drake is now a very good buy in that price range, given the quality of the build and the effectiveness of the flush.