(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Installing a "bottle trap" drain in an older house

Default Installing a "bottle trap" drain in an older house

So we are tearing apart a small powder room in a 1950's home...and have hit a bit of a snag with the existing plumbing. We want to install a bottle trap drain with the new sink, since the plumbing will be exposed and we think these drains look cool. Something like this:

The problem is the drain stub coming out of the wall is 2" threaded iron. The drain we like (above) looks to have a 1 1/4" outlet. So I'm wondering what options I have? I'd hate to remove the existing stub, since it would require cutting into a healthy plaster wall. Any ideas?

Thanks...

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For a trap like that, you need a 1-1/4" thread at the wall. The nut barely clears the wall, and then the escutcheon covers that.

It's time to open the wall if you want exposed plumbing that looks nice. Anytime somebody asks me about exposed plumbing, it's time to think about redoing the pipes in the wall to make sure they look good on the outside.

The bottle trap, since it has no swivel, has to be dead on centered with the lav drain.
    Last edited by Terry; 09-30-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Bottle traps can be a bear to get lined up and besides that, in most places they are illegal
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Bottle traps can be a bear to get lined up and besides that, in most places they are illegal
    Illegal? Wow. I'll need to check code in my area. Thanks for the heads up guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    For a trap like that, you need a 1-1/4" thread at the wall. The nut barely clears the wall, and then the escutcheon covers that.

It's time to open the wall if you want exposed plumbing that looks nice. Anytime somebody asks me about exposed plumbing, it's time to think about redoing the pipes in the wall to make sure they look good on the outside.

The bottle trap, since it has no swivel, has to be dead on centered with the lav drain.
    Despite general assumptions.....bottle traps ARE approved by the UPC.....with the proviso that the internal weir( separator) be made of material which will not corrode away....meaning plastic. you will probably find a CSA or UPC mark on the trap. Without that marking of course it is NOT allowed to be used.