Alternative to thermal expansion tank

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

I was looking at the Watts web site for their selection of thermal expansion tanks and ran accross this. It's a toilet ballcock which also serves as an expansion valve:

QUOTE:
Series Governor 80-M1 Ball Cock and Thermal Expansion Relief Valves are triple-function devices: a toilet tank ball cock, an anti-siphon backflow preventer and a thermal expansion pressure relief valve. The Governor 80-M1 limits the domestic water system's preset static pressure, protects the temperature and pressure relief valve on the water heater, reduces the requirement for a thermal expansion tank or an auxiliary relief valve and prevents backflow from water closets. Relief Valve Set At: 80psi.
http://www.wattsreg.com/pdf/S-GOV80.pdf

Interesting idea -- obviously it'll waste a bit of water from time to time, compared to an expansion tank, but for some applicatons might be a nice option. Had not heard of this before.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
When it fails, the homeowner will go to HD, buy a standard replacement valve for the toilet, and PRESTO, no more relief valve.

The principle could as easily be accomplished with a 1/2" relief valve like those used on small submersible pump systems, as long as the relief pressure is above the municipal supply pressure.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Bob NH said:
When it fails, the homeowner will go to HD, buy a standard replacement valve for the toilet, and PRESTO, no more relief valve.

True! If I were to install one, I'd be tempted to use a nylon wire tie to attach a red plastic tag to it, instructing anyone working on it to replace with a like unit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks