Furnace will not light

Users who are viewing this thread

jsarin1

Reaction score
I have a tempstar furnace with a honeywell smartvalve system. The ignitor will not get red hot to light the furnace.
I replaced the thermocouple/ignitor with an equivalent one (Honeywell Q3400A1040 Replacement Ignitor) and it still did not light.
Then I suspected a gas supply problem. When I turn the valve to On, I heard no gas coming through. So, I ordered a replacement euivalent (Honeywell SV9500M 2682 Gas Valve). I can now hear the gas come through when it is turned on. But, even so, the ignitor doesn't light. Any advise would he appreciated...

jsarin1

Reaction score
I forgot to include that the furnace is getting electrical power. The blower spins when you turn it on and at the thermostat. According to the thermostat it is calling for heat. I changed the batteries, but that did not change anything. I've had to furnace on for about 20mins and it still will not light.

I just found another ignitor/sensor in the garage from the previous homeowner. Put that one in and still no light.

Last edited:

jsarin1

Reaction score
I have a Honeywell circuit board labeled ST9120C 4040. Is this circuit board equivalent to an ignition control module?

jsarin1

Reaction score
Untitled.jpg

Took a photo of the lower compartment as reference.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That is a fan control relay board. Probably not what you need. You need a wiring diagram of your furnace, and probably a service call from an HVAC tech.

DaMan

Reaction score
I have a tempstar furnace with a honeywell smartvalve system. The ignitor will not get red hot to light the furnace.
I replaced the thermocouple/ignitor with an equivalent one (Honeywell Q3400A1040 Replacement Ignitor) and it still did not light.
Then I suspected a gas supply problem. When I turn the valve to On, I heard no gas coming through. So, I ordered a replacement euivalent (Honeywell SV9500M 2682 Gas Valve). I can now hear the gas come through when it is turned on. But, even so, the ignitor doesn't light. Any advise would he appreciated...

If you have replaced the gas valve and igniter I would suspect the logic board. Most logic boards go through a start-up procedure. If something goes wrong during the start-up procedure, your igniter will not ignite or your gas valve will not open. If your igniter will not heat up, that means no electricity is going to it from the logic board. If your gas valve is not opening up, that means your logic board is not telling it to open. Everything points to your logic board. This same thing happend to me on Christmas EVE while it was 19F outside. I did not notice the furnace quit on me until I woke up on Christmas EVE morning and the house was 59F inside. I poked around inside my furnace and my logic board was dead. It got power to it, but did not provide power to anything else. Not fan, no igniter, no gas, just dead.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks