Basement Bathroom Rough-in layout help please... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Squints2See

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am helping a friend rough in the plumbing for a basement bathroom. There was an existing bathroom there but he had to terror out the entire concrete floor and start over due to broken pipes underneath the concrete.

I have poorly drawn a mockup of what I am looking to do. I have researched things as best as I can and have found out that in my neck of the woods the 2009 IPC is what is used. However, there are no inspections done where my friend lives, so although I do want the plumbing to perform properly, I will not have to contend with a picky inspector.

Based on my research (and I apologize in advance if I get some of this wrong) the IPC does allow wet venting with one vent for two bathroom groups as long as it is on the same floor, which this is. And I seem to recall reading that based on a 3" drainline, the furthest fixture can be up to 12' away from the vent. (Im not sure I am understanding that right though; Table 906.1 of the IPC)

So here are my questions:

1. Would it be better to have the toilet directly inline with the drain, (using a 3"x3"x2" tee-wye) or have it branching off of the main drain as shown in the optional placement in the drawing?)
2. Should I go with my original plan of having two vents coming together (as shown in purple), or can i use one 2" vent (as shown in the dashed green) as long as it is placed close enough that it is within 12' of the farthest fixture?
3. Is it better to have the vent upstream from the toilet (as indicated in the purple option), or downstream from the toilet?(as indicated with the dashed green option)
4. Could I use 1 1/2" line for the vents instead of 2" if I do the vent placement shown in purple?

The main drainline will be 3", and will tie into the 4" drain that currently exists and exits the house. The floor drain, shower floor drain, and washer drain will be 2", as well as the sink and the utility sink until it gets to the p-trap.

All help (especially sooner than later!) would be greatly appreciated, as I am starting this Saturday morning.

Thanks again,

Attachments

• plumbing.jpg
    plumbing.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 66,290
Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
About half of that drawing is wrong. In a forum like this it is impossible to thoroughly explain the principals behind wet venting. I don't know where you got that 12' from but it does in no way apply to what you are doing there. doing it without a permit and inspections would be a very bad thing to do indeed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The sink and toilet on the left side are okay, if installed the way you show them. EVERYTHING else is incorrect, as a "picky" inspector would tell you as he wrote out a rejection slip after he finished laughing at your installation. Putting a pipe in the middle of a line and calling it a "wet vent" does not make it so. As Abraham Lincoln once said, "If I call a dog's tail a foot, how many feet does the dog have?"

Last edited:

Squints2See

Reaction score
I dont have anything against venting. I do however have limitations on where I can run the vents through the walls. Are you all saying that I need to vent each individual fixture and then tie them together a certain distance above the the highest fixture's flood level?

Could you please explain how the shower is not vented?

If the utility sink and washer cannot be wet vented, do I need to run a vent individually to those fixtures and tie them together above them?

Could someone be so kind to show me what modifications need to be done to make this work?

As far as permits and inspections, we are not trying to circumvent the system here, unfortunately in this state building practices are a joke and this includes the lack of permits and inspections. Very few towns here have any kind of inspections at all. I had an entire custom home built for me and no permits or inspections were required....lol

Squints2See

Reaction score
HJ, would you be so kind to expound a little on everything to the right of the toilet being wrong? I also realize that this drawing does not show the details of the fixture connections to the 3" drainline, I am just trying to see if the overall layout is going to work.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The shower is not vented. The vent needs to be between the trap and the line it connects to. Once a line has water running down it, it's a waste line. The toilet makes it a waste line, and the kitchen sink from above makes it a waste line.

The floor drain needs a vent too.

Vents can tie together at 42" above the floor. The vent from the basement either goes through the roof, or it can tie in on the second floor at 42".

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

Last edited:

Squints2See

Reaction score
Thanks Terry,

I understand about placing the vent between the trap and the line. So basically you are saying that I cannot do any wet venting with my setup, that every fixture (except for the toilet) has to have its own vent? Can the floor drain not use the utility sink vent downstream as a wet vent as long as it is within a certain distance? And if so, what would that distance be?

Thanks...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My simplistic undersanding of wet venting is that it can only be used within a bathroom group - a utility sink and WM are not in a bahtroom group.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
A
s far as permits and inspections, we are not trying to circumvent the system here, unfortunately in this state building practices are a joke and this includes the lack of permits and inspections. Very few towns here have any kind of inspections at all. I had an entire custom home built for me and no permits or inspections were required....lol
[/QUOTE]

Yes you are trying to circumvent the system. I guarantee you that permits are required and just because your town may not have an inspector or a building department doesn't mean you don't need plans, permits and inspections. If your town does not have the facilities to do it than the state plumbing board does and they are the ones you need to contact. Furthermore, someone with your lack of plumbing knowledge and experience has no business even attempting a project like that without the guidence that an inspector and the permitting process afford you. We (and other diy sites) can give you all kinds of advice but without knowing exactly what the site looks like, without having exact measurements and knowing how the framing is situated and mostly without knowing you level of skill you are facing an uphill battle.

Licensed plumbers protect the health and safety of the public. Improperly installed plumbing can and often will cause others sickness and in extreme cases death. That's why we are licensed and that's why the permit/inspection process is so important.

http://www.reedconstructiondata.com/building-codes/west-virginia/

http://www.cityapplications.com/building-permits/WV-West-Virginia/bldg-West-Virginia.html

http://www.wvlabor.com/newwebsite/Pages/FAQs_plumbers.html

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have no concept of what "wet venting" means or is. The toilet on the left side is wet vented by the sink, but there is nothing on the right side which can be called a "wet vent". The toilet flowing past the shower and floor drain connections is what creates the need for a vent, and a vertical pipe in the proximity of a drain connection does not necessarily mean it IS a vent for it.

Squints2See

Reaction score
How about this

Ok, will this work?

If my floor drain trap arm is within a certain distance of the washer vent can I wet vent with it now that I am connecting the floor drain downstream? Or, do I still need to have the floor drain vented separately as shown optionally below?

How many feet does the toilet arm need to be from the sink vent to maintain the ability to wet vent the toilet?

Thanks...

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 36,424
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The lav on the left should be run with 2" pipe, including the vent.
Make sure the floor drain is vented. Having the toilet and the washer running by it, it needs the vent.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You show the shower drain, and the optional floor drain vent, as being horizontal.....a big no-no

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks