Code question 277 and 24 volts same fixture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Lionsfniniowa

Reaction score
Here is my case. I hired a contractor that wired 277 volt floesent fixtures. He added a 12 volt motion sensors on the circuit. Instead of placing the control box on a servicable wall he place them inside the first fixture under the canopy. Is this legal? I thought you could not mix wire voltages in the same box. As far as I know fixtures cant be used as a junction box? This is in a school in the State of Iowa.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
Can't say for sure from what you have described. You can use the fixture to junction wires that are associated with the light. As far as mixing voltages it depends on how the motion sensor is meant to be used.

The person that can give you a complete answer is your electrical inspector.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
As long as the insulation of the low voltage is rated for line voltage then they can be in the same enclosure.

What make you think that the sensor is at 24 volts?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks