Dim Glow in Incandescent Bulb When Touched

Users who are viewing this thread

Alexsis Miller Veal

Reaction score
To answer the questions:
We don't know how he touched the bulb, was the glass damp, dirty, etc, --> I touched the bulb at the top while on a ladder. The glass on the bulb was brand new, clean and dry.

are you SURE it is incandescent and NOT a Compact Flourescent bulb? --> Yes, absolutely incandescent, not CFL.

what is the wattage of this bulb? --> 100 Watt

Light switch was ON while changing. (Opps)

I think jadnashua nailed it on the head given the environment the fixture sits in. I'd guess nearly 10-15 feet proximity to a tall sprinkler... we don't get a ton of rain here in Southern California. Sounds like a shot socket. I'm ready to replace the darn thing, especially since there are ones that aren't terribly expensive and look nice.

Thank you so much for all of the GREAT responses. I've learned a ton from this post.

Cookie

Reaction score
And if that does not work try another. Rinse, lather, repeat. when to stop? could not resist. Sorry Cookie!

Ha ha, lol. But, I have bought brand news bulbs that wouldn't work, sooooo... in light of that lol, can't hurt to try.

ShockHazard

Reaction score
If he had enough current running through his body to light a filiment, he'd know it.
___

I say it's just a dirty connection at the base of the outlet. Use a small piece of wood to scrape it clean, with the switch off. Blow any residual dust out of it.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
And if that does not work try another. Rinse, lather, repeat. when to stop? could not resist. Sorry Cookie!

lol.

Check the old bulb. If it is good it is most likely a loose connection.

If it is bad then it is most likely a loose connection, or the new one is bad or the wrong type.

A Compact Flourescent bulb may light to the touch of the glass but not a incandescant, unless applying pressure makes a better connection.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Current does not leak to earth so this is not it

Maybe it doesn't "leak" but if you are between the "current source" and the earth, it WILL go through you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks