Dim Glow in Incandescent Bulb When Touched

Users who are viewing this thread

Alexsis Miller Veal

Reaction score
Hi There,
I'm completely new here and have no experience in electrical work. I have a front porch light where the bulb burnt out. I went to replace it with the light switch turned on and nothing initially happened until I touched the bulb. It had a faint glow in the filament. What's going on? I'm scared that I did something very dangerous and certainly won't be touching it again. Thanks. -- Alexsis

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
What does that mean in newbie terms? Sorry, forgive me and I appreciate your patience.
There is a method of wiring circuits that if there is a problem, can cause dimming of light bulbs. I don't think we need to go there yet.

How old and what is the condition of the light fixture? What you are describing could be a poor connection between the light bulb and the socket.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There might be a loose or corroded connection and when you screwed the bulb in, you applied a little force, moved things, enough to make the partial connection. If there is corrosion, it can act like a resistor - effectively like putting a bunch of light bulbs together in series (most stuff in a house is wired in parallel so that power doesn't have to go through one thing before it gets to another, which is series - think putting two batteries in a flashlight - they are in series - if one is bad, the bulb may still light, but it won't get as much voltage and be dim).

A porch light will see lots more moisture and corrosion than a fixture installed in the house. There could be rust, too.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Really. How is the current getting through the bulb, through him, through his footwear, and to the earth in enough quantity to make a filament glow?
My thought was that in the absence of a neutral connection, capacitance thru his body MIGHT allow enough current. We don't know how he touched the bulb, was the glass damp, dirty, etc,

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
My thought was that in the absence of a neutral connection, capacitance thru his body MIGHT allow enough current. We don't know how he touched the bulb, was the glass damp, dirty, etc,
If there was no neutral then no path and nothing would happen. If there was enough capacitance between the body and the bulb to cause it to glow then they are dead

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi There,
I'm completely new here and have no experience in electrical work. I have a front porch light where the bulb burnt out. I went to replace it with the light switch turned on and nothing initially happened until I touched the bulb. It had a faint glow in the filament. What's going on? I'm scared that I did something very dangerous and certainly won't be touching it again. Thanks. -- Alexsis

Alexis, I know you said it is an incandescant bulb, and that is has a filament, but are you SURE it is incandescent and NOT a Compact Flourescent bulb? I personally know several people who call CFL's incandescant. And the other answers of a Neutral connection being bad "might" make more sense if your bulb is a CFL. Maybe:D

By the way, what is the wattage of this bulb?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You're all missing the point that the switch was ON when he replaced the bulb, neither the original, nor the new bulb worked, but when touching the bulb, it glowed slightly...the power was already there, but the connection was/is lousy...my opinion is that there's a bad connection, either a rusted socket, or corrosion on the contacts...this is an outside lamp where humidity and maybe rain will affect it.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
You're all missing the point that the switch was ON when he replaced the bulb, neither the original, nor the new bulb worked, but when touching the bulb, it glowed slightly...the power was already there, but the connection was/is lousy...my opinion is that there's a bad connection, either a rusted socket, or corrosion on the contacts...this is an outside lamp where humidity and maybe rain will affect it.
Uhmmm,. . errr,. . . I kinda said that.
And, ummmm,. / well I mean uhhhh,. . shucks ya know, I don't want to make big deal or anything. Normally I would not call attention to myself. It's just that JW said I was the winner and I don't want to miss out on my prize.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks