Methane in new well

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
Gary,

Is it ok, to do nothing with the well? I never paid attention to what my husband did with the well, if anything. It is like a slender tube in the ground where if you look down it you can see water, etc. I just don't want any gasses in there exploding. If you knew my luck you would agree, lol.

Yeah, I tried the plastic thing over the round thing on the porch, that did not work. I guess it rains in from other points.

I got to admit though, I get baby skunks there, and they love it. Cute, little things.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
In most cases gases won't build up in a well, especially if there is not a sealed cap on the casing. You should put a cap on the well to keep things rom falling down the well and to protect he groundwater from contamination. You can buy one for the diameter of the casing, that tube, from any hardware or big box store for like $20.00.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

JungleJim

Reaction score
Sam Houston's Birthplace, Stonewall Jackson's Home
Website
www.parknpool.com
Methane too

I read ya'll's posts about aeriation and I must do something soon. I just moved into my log home in June and the methane is hammering the pipes and toilet valves really hard. I had a local well and pump contractor install a softener that uses a marble substance in it instead of the green stuff. That was before I knew about the methane. After doing quite a bit of research online, I did the milk jug test and it whooshed out the blue flame... btw, my middle school boys think it is really cool.
This same pump contractor who is a young fellow just getting started on his own, installed a 40 gallon galvanized tank with a valve on top to let the gas escape. It is still under pressure. It has done nothing to remove the methane. He is recommending now to install an aeriation / chlorinator from Better Water Industries http://www.betterwaterind.com I still have a few concerns after reading your posts.
1) Mixing chlorine and methane produces chloroform.... Is this a danger?
2) Does the aeriation chamber have to be cleaned periodically? (my well is deep... 750 feet)
3) BobNH's description of parts sounds pretty easy but I thought that his placement was before the bladder tank.
and lastly,
4) has anyone thought of collecting this methane and using it for fuel? I wonder if there is any viability in that.
TX

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
"I had a local well and pump contractor install a softener that uses a marble substance in it instead of the green stuff. "

The quote above suggests something about your well and pump contractor that is not a good sign. Maybe you misunderstood him.

A tank with a marble substance is not a softener. It is an acid neutralizer and actually increases hardness because marble contains calcium.

I suggest that you spend some time learning the alternatives. You can use a stripper, which is what I described, or you can use a pressurized system such as Gary Slusser described. You are in an area where freezing is probably not a serious problem, so an outside stripper might be a good solution.

There will not be enough methane in your water to make it worth trying to save. And you risk having it mixed with air, which can produce an explosive mixture.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
BobNH, the system I suggest(ed) is not pressurized, it is atmospheric, and comes in indoor and outdoor configurations; the outdoor model does not have (need) the blower.

The open air Sentry 1 would not be my choice. Although it is atmospheric, it does not aerate as well as the system I suggest. It is primarily a chlorination system, the Sentry 1 that I sell, with the aeration as an add on. Plus, mixing chlorine and methane is not a good idea IMO; chloroform definitely isn't.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/FreePubs/pdfs/XH0010.pdf

With an air stripper consisting of a packed tower with air blowing countercurrent to it, you can expect a 10:1 reduction in about 10 ft of height. Water flow rates are in the range of 10 to 20 GPM per square foot, and air flow rates are on the order of 50 CFM per CFM of water. That is about 100 CFM per 15 GPM of water, or about the capacity of a good squirrel cage bathroom fan.

The blower is set up to run when the well pump is running.

You would need an extra pump at the bottom to pump the water to pressure.

If you are into DIY, this is a project that you could do. It is probably not for a 6,000 sq ft lot in the city, but is certainly reasonable for a rural area or an estate of some kind.

You would get rid of a lot of the methane with just spraying the water which would flash off methane due to release of pressure and contact with air. I can imagine doing a test by spraying it and collecting it on a sheed of plastic running off into an open collector tank from which it is pumped to pressure. I wouldn't be surprised it that did all you need.

The amount of stripping required depends on how low you want to get the methane.

You could set up something in an open air setup with the water trickling over a waterfall arrangement and see if it would meet your needs. You still need the second stage pump and controls.

JungleJim

Reaction score
Sam Houston's Birthplace, Stonewall Jackson's Home
Website
www.parknpool.com
Air Stripping Methane

I've noticed that most installation examples of air strippers are located after the bladder tank. What is the best placement?

Should the collection tank after the air stripping column be vented to the atmosphere? It seems logical to allow more methane to escape.

I'm going to check on the greensand vs marble setup that I have. Our water is really soft. It feels like the soap doesn't wash off your skin.

Thanks,
Jim

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Remember that you don't want to cause any water quality problems while treating for the methane. And air stripping as described probably will introduce bacteria algae etc. to the water. You should use equipment that is designed for potable water treatment, not home grown stuff.

Greensand and "marble" will not treat methane and the water treatment industry is attempting to get away from the use of potassium permanganate, a serious poison.

The feeling of your soft water is caused by the natural oil in your skin coming to the surface because there is no hardness in your water to react with your soap to prevent it.

photosean

Reaction score
Bob, I would like to try and build the system you allude to above. I just put in a new well at a cost of 12 grand and can't afford to buy and install another 3k system. Would you mind sending me the plans/schematic to build a simple system with a vent to remove the excessive methane in my water. I can ignite the gas coming from my shower faucets and they will burn indefinitely until a large burst of gas puts out the flame which can then be reignited and burn and burn and burn...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks