(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Recommend a laptop??

Hybrid View

Default Recommend a laptop??

Currently using a very old Dell Latitude D610, XP Professional. It is slow and battery life is just about 1 1/4 hours. My requirements are very modest :
    most important is to stay on the small side for ease of schlepping around with it. I use it in bed while on the 5fu pump, and take it to the chemo center to help pass the 5 hours down there. Small and lightweight. I think a 14" would be OK but may the 15.6"? I have no extraordinary usage requirements...no photoshop, etc. I just check email and post on the forum trying not to annoy hj too much! I stream some audio ( old time radio shows) which actually works fine even on this dinosaur. I don't think I really need to stream video, but .....maybe.......
    Not much need for gigantic on board memory or hard drive.

Any thoughts? Thanks,

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

Your D610 likely has a 5400rpm hard drive, and a new 7200rpm drive (and possibly maximizing your memory) would refresh what you already have and speed things up a bit. Add a new battery and you have a like-new computer for about $200. I have recently done that with two older Dells running XP. But if you want a new notebook, prices for Windows 7 machines should be low now that Windows 8 will soon be on the shelf.
    Last edited by leejosepho; 09-28-2012 at 07:03 AM.
    "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events and small minds discuss people." --Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by leejosepho View Post
    Your D610 likely has a 5400rpm hard drive, and a new 7200rpm drive (and possibly maximizing your memory) would refresh what you already have and speed things up a bit. Add a new battery and you have a like-new computer for about $200. I have recently done that with two older Dells running XP. But if you want a new notebook, prices for Windows 7 machines should be low now that Windows 8 will soon be on the shelf.
    Lee, have you tried Win 8? I did, and after a little frustration, I went back to 7. I found 8 to be ugly, unintuitive and I have nothing good to say about it. I really have nothing good to say about Windows 8. I can't see it being a big hit at all. Another Microsoft Bob. Maybe good for tablets?
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    Lee, have you tried Win 8? I did, and after a little frustration, I went back to 7 ...
    Nope, I seldom even use Win7 ... and that is part of my thought for Jimbo here if he might want to stick with XP.
    "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events and small minds discuss people." --Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by leejosepho View Post
    Nope, I seldom even use Win7 ... and that is part of my thought for Jimbo here if he might want to stick with XP.
    I use XP at work. I always liked XP, and I think our idea of more RAM and a speedier hard drive is not a bad idea at all for Jimbo to consider.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

Interesting thoughts. I had not considered upgrading the Dell. I thought it was too old for that.
    I have W7 on my new desktop, and wifeys Toshiba laptop. We have not had any problems. I have seen a lot of ASUS on amazon, so I will check that out. Price is not them main concern, so I may buy something at Fryes, Best, or the Navy Exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Currently using a very old Dell Latitude D610, XP Professional. It is slow and battery life is just about 1 1/4 hours. My requirements are very modest :
    most important is to stay on the small side for ease of schlepping around with it. I use it in bed while on the 5fu pump, and take it to the chemo center to help pass the 5 hours down there. Small and lightweight. I think a 14" would be OK but may the 15.6"? I have no extraordinary usage requirements...no photoshop, etc. I just check email and post on the forum trying not to annoy hj too much! I stream some audio ( old time radio shows) which actually works fine even on this dinosaur. I don't think I really need to stream video, but .....maybe.......

Any thoughts? Thanks,
    i just bought a ASUS laptop windows 7 and i'm very satisfied with it so far. i bought it because of a recommendation from a guy that i listen to on a computer show on saturdays. the show is on at 1 pm eastern. anyway he has a shop and mentioned that he gets very few ASUS brand computers that come in for repairs and that is why he likes them plus he uses them. anyhow that's my thoughts. if you or anyone else would like to tune in to the show it streams at http://www.iheart.com/#/live/1869/?autoplay=true
    hth

most important is to stay on the small side for ease of schlepping around with it. I use it in bed while on the 5fu pump, and take it to the chemo center to help pass the 5 hours down there. Small and
    car parts lightweight. I think a 14" would be OK but may the 15.6"? I have no extraordinary usage requirements...no photoshop, etc. I just check email and post on the forum trying not to annoy hj too much! I stream some audio ( old time radio shows) which actually works fine even on this dinosaur. I don't think I really need to stream video, but .....maybe.......

Any thoughts? Thanks,
    Hello I need a laptop soon so which will you recommend now?
    Last edited by Undfusk; 02-27-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Undfusk View Post
    Hello I need a laptop soon so which will you recommend now?
    Anything older , something that has Win 7 and you will be good.

If you use a touch screen only then Win 8 is OK , as long as you don't get a BS trial version.

Get Pro.

Many refurbished machines just have updated OSs, you can roll the OS back and have a nice-new machine, For cheap.

Vista and XP is great, depending what you use the computer for, they may be a good choice.
    Last edited by DonL; 02-27-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Well, I have been using the Toshiba for 4 months now....no complaints. Battery life if I cycle it once in a while to get a good charge...is only about 3 hours, or a little more. It does help a lot to turn down the screen brightness button a couple of clicks.

Well, I have been using the Toshiba for 4 months now....no complaints. Battery life if I cycle it once in a while to get a good charge...is only about 3 hours, or a little more. It does help a lot to turn down the screen brightness button a couple of clicks.

Were you able to make a Backup set of Windows DVDs ?

What Version of Windows did it come with ?

I like my Toshiba laptop better than my Dell. And like my HPs the most, not sure they are any better, They just work.

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    Were you able to make a Backup set of Windows DVDs ?

What Version of Windows did it come with ?

I like my Toshiba laptop better than my Dell. And like my HPs the most, not sure they are any better, They just work.
    Came with windows 7 home premium. I have not made back up disks....hard for me to deal with those kinds of problems. If something that bad went wrong, I would take it to my guru

Buy a used dell E6400 on **** for $300 with windows 7. It is a great computer.

Quote Originally Posted by CanOfWorms View Post
    Buy a used dell E6400 on **** for $300 with windows 7. It is a great computer.

You can get them cheap refurbished.

Not bad for the price.