Softener discharge line... where to dump it?

Users who are viewing this thread

JoshB-NC

Reaction score
Been reading some of the other posts - most agree to dump it in the septic. I am putting my softener in the well house which is out at the edge of the lawn. There is really no other place to put it. I was just going to run the discharge line to the edge of the property/woods and dump it. Is there really that much salt that comes out?

I had the culligan guy come out months ago and he pretty much said the same thing. I know he was not going to run it back to the house because it would have to go under a brick patio and a concrete sidewalk.

Sorry - I am a newbie with lots of questions..

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Depending on your site, you could build a drywell near the property line and dump into it. Your county extension office might be able to help. The big problem with dumping onto someone else's property is that some day they might object, and if it's public property they'll object strongly. I run mine into the same French drain that carries roof runoff, and see no adverse effects on the local flora.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The amount of salt is the amount you put in the salt tank, minus say 1/10 of 1% or so.

So you want to size your softener for high salt efficiency. Actually, everyone should want and do that anyway...

You should keep the drain water as far from the well as possible so as to not contaminate the well.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Check with your town or district and see if they have rules or laws pertaining to dumping the discharge directly. Some do, some don't but better safe than a lawsuit down the road.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Check with your town or district and see if they have rules or laws pertaining to dumping the discharge directly. Some do, some don't but better safe than a lawsuit down the road.

+1

I just dump mine on the edge of the property along with my iron filter backwash and sump discharge so it does get diluted when the sump runs and from runoff when it rains. However, when it is dry, it does not get diluted and so it did kill a few trees and stunted a few more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks