Buying a used water softener - bad idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

JoshB-NC

Reaction score
We need a water softener for the house we just bought (on well water). There are quite a few used systems in my area for sale as more and more houses are connecting up to the county water. Is it best to just buy a new system or is used ok? I found one with a fleck control (basic 5600 I think). Do the tanks go bad? How much is the resin? It looks to be a 48,000 system. I think I could buy it for $100.

There are also quite a few Culligan systems. I assume to stay away from these even if they are work (parts would be expensive if it does break?)?

great forum!

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you can hook it up and go than it's a great deal. If you have to rebuild the entire unit, your cost could get up to $400. Another $200 and you got a new unit. By checking the unit before buying would give you an idea of what, if anything, is wrong.

JoshB-NC

Reaction score
Do the tanks ever go bad or get contaminated? How do you know if the media is good or not? I agree.. I do not want to dump a bunch of money into it when I could just buy a new unit.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
A tank is bad if it leaks. Other than that, it won't go bad. If when turning the center knob (regen knob) it binds up, the valve needs to be rebuilt. If you can get a sample of the resin, squeeze it bewteen you thumb and finger. If it's bad, it will feel like mush.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks