Kitchen sink installation question. The hold down clamps are not long enough. HELP

Users who are viewing this thread

jasper7821

Reaction score
Sorry it's not a plumbing question but I figure people call a plumber to install and plumb a sink so maybe someone here can assist.

We have a huge kitchen island in the home I just bought and could not afford granite to replace the Formica island and we were already doing the floor tile so we just had the tile guy put a distressed wood looking tile on top of the Formica counter.
I think it looks really nice and looks like a giant piece of old wood and very unique. and the total price with labor and tile was only $325 and it about 10ft by 4ft.

Anyways, we bought a new stainless sink and cannot use the hold down clamps to get the sink edges flush with the counter because the clamps are now too short with the added grout, tile and hardy board.
I went to Home Depot to see if they sell longer screws and they do but only about 1/4" longer and we need at least an inch longer.

It wouldn't be a big deal if the sink edges laid flat on the tile but they don't. there's a slight bow on the left and right side so without it being clamped down I guess we'd have to fill in the gap with caulking since it's flush on the corners.

Has this happened to anyone before and if so how do I fix it.
I thought I just got a bad sink so I went and bought another one and it's exactly the same, a slight bow on the left and right sides.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Hardie on formica is not a great formula for longevity...good luck! Assuming you used screws to anchor the Hardie, and most formica counters are installed over particle board, you opened up a path for moisture to swell up the particle board a certain path for failure in the long run. Pay particular attention to the area around the sink to seal the edges before installing the sink and wipe up any spills immediately, and it can last awhile. Next time, tear the old counter off, build it up with plywood, then proceed to tile over a waterproof membrane or cbu (like Hardie).

Consider checking on the sink manufacturer's website...I know at least some of them offer longer screws/clamps for thick counters. Also, you might call a granite fabricator, they may have some you could buy. I wouldn't rely on filling the gap with caulk...I think in the long run, it would look funky.

jasper7821

Reaction score
Thanks,
We know nothing about installing tile and the guy we hired said just putting tile over the counter and using hardy board and grout would be fine.
I did find a sink clamp solution.
I found a suggestion on the internet to just use a long 8-32 hex head screw and put the head into the U channel and then secure it with a hex nut then slide the clamp over the screw and against the counter bottom and add another hex nut and tighten the nut and the clamp will squeeze into the counter.
Sounds like a great idea and I hope it works good.
I really don't want a 1/8" gap in the middles of the sink and the corners to be flush with the tile.

Will definitely take your advise and seal up around the sink really good.
Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it uses the Elkay style clips, a good plumbing supply store will have the ones you need. Where in AZ are you located, I might be able to give you a name.

jasper7821

Reaction score
If it uses the Elkay style clips, a good plumbing supply store will have the ones you need. Where in AZ are you located, I might be able to give you a name.

Thank you very much. The sink is a Glacier Bay and I live in Tucson.
I think i have it figured out, I took the old U channel to ACE hardware and looked to see what would be long enough and hold the clamps on.
I ended up getting 3" 8-32 bolts and washers and hex nuts.
The head may slip through the U channel so I but a washer on and it works perfect in theory. I still need to ream the tile sink hole 1/4 larger so the sink will fit in and not catch on the U channel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks