Troubleshooting - cranky toilet!

Users who are viewing this thread

thesweetpickles

Reaction score
Greetings, all.

We have been dealing with an unhappy 2nd floor toilet for a little while now. Liquid waste + toilet paper do not cause any problems, but solid waste is slow to move and gurgles, with an occasional back up. Plunging takes care of the immediate issue, but I feel like there's something else at play here. We've checked the vent to the roof --- blasted with a hose and had no back up in the vent or the house. Today I went up and pushed through about 40 feet of a 50 foot snake (could not manage to get it pushed any farther) and when I pulled it back out, it was covered in solid waste. No one has used this toilet for any #2 variety activities for a couple of days, so I was surprised that there was still waste in the line. There are no other toilets in use upstairs.

Is this normal, and if not, where to go from here? We don't have any other drainage issues on the other levels, just this. Does it make sense to remove the toilet and snake the line from there? I do notice that the water level in the toilet tank is about 1/2" below the recommended line and that the water in the bowl seems insufficient compared to our other toilets.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited to add: we have also taken the toilet off to replace the wax seal, checked the toilet innards at that time with no visible clogs; also used a toilet auger to no avail.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Evidence of solid waste means there's a clog somewhere. Without knowing how your house is plumbed, one branch could easily be clogged and the others working quite fine. FWIW, a toilet will flush with no vent at all, so that isn't the issue. Pulling the toilet can give you a closer path through that drain line. But, the typical homeowner's snake is not designed to scour the larger lines and often will just poke a hole, that will quickly plug back up. 40', depending on the house, could easily be out into the yard on the way to the main sewer line.

thesweetpickles

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I should've been more clear that I was snaking from the vent stack on the roof, so the 40ish feet of snake I did get through was going through the roof, attic and then into the line so I don't think I could've made it out into the yard (through part of the send floor line at most, I assume). I appreciate what you're saying though. It does sound like a professional is in order here. Thanks again.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
For a second floor toilet to back up, without flooding a downstairs toilet or kitchen sink first, ITS branch, and only its branch, has to be plugged up.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Snakes that are available to DIY are seldom capable of clearing a clog even if the clog is in the line being snaked. These are too small and will just poke through the clog and leave it intact or push the clog deeper and compact it more. Unless the toilet has an obstruction in its trap, you need a professional plumber whose company does not contain the words "Rooter" or "Roto" to clear the drain with professional grade equipment. This equipment is normally not available to a DIY and even if it is, should not be used by a novice. These things are very powerful and can literally take and arm off in a split second if not properly handled.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
snakes that are available to diy are seldom capable of clearing a clog even if the clog is in the line being snaked. These are too small and will just poke through the clog and leave it intact or push the clog deeper and compact it more. Unless the toilet has an obstruction in its trap, you need a professional plumber whose company does not contain the words "rooter" or "roto" to clear the drain with professional grade equipment. This equipment is normally not available to a diy and even if it is, should not be used by a novice. These things are very powerful and can literally take and arm off in a split second if not properly handled.

Not looking for plumbers with Roto or Rooter in the names doe's not
make any sense since almost all "good" drain cleaning Co's, do use those words somewhere in there name or list of services,
those Co's known by those names also do good work most of the time
even if they can be overpriced for what they do,
it all depends on how you value their work, they do have a right to charge for their services just like you have the right to choose another Plumber. To do your work

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks