Water heater tank leaks, gonna have to replace SOON!

Users who are viewing this thread

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Apparently this is the year for plumbing. Just installed a water softner about a month ago. Well, low and behold - my water heater is leaking. Got a quote, but for $1200, I think I'll do this myself. I've got a couple other little "tasks" that I want to do as long as I've got the lines drained anyways (i.e. adding valves, and fixing another leak that's unrelated).

Anywho... I'm down to these 3 options, but I'm looking for some opinions. I know the Rheem branded one has the magnesium rod, but not sure about the others. Someone here mind giving me your 2 cents? I'm gonna have to do this sometime this week as I have no drain in my basement, so time is of utmost importance in getting this ball rolling. Another month and I might have a pool in the basement.

Richmond, ******* - $398 (I see this got blocked, its one over at Maynerds) - probably is my #1 choice unless the Rheem Fury is better
http://tiny.cc/vfl7kw

GE, Home Depot - $398
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100187010

Rheem Fury, Online - $373
http://www.wayfair.com/Rheem-Fury-40-Gallon-Natural-Gas-Water-Heater-22V40F1-RHE1092.html?refid=GX8034128940-RHE1092&gclid=CNjpq5Tez7ICFexFMgodKUwAZg

I think the 40 gallon works, and the warranty doesn't really matter. It appears feature-wise, the 9 year happens to be the magic point for me, so these all should be apples to apples.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like Rheem heaters. Forget about length of warranty, you get the same heater for more money to get an extend warranty. If the heater fails anywhere near the end of the warranty period, it is worthless anyway. The only plus for buying for HD is if you have an immediate problem, you are dealing with a local store and not an on-line dealer. The OL dealer would probably make good on a replacement, but you'd have the hassle of sending the unit back and waiting for a new one. Not worth the $25 IMHO.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Those 3 units are essentially the same unit with different labels. All made by Rheem, all probably the 6 year warranty version. If you buy on line, who delivers it and for how much????

Glowrdr

Reaction score
I ended up pulling the plug on the top one I was looking at. Forgot that M'nerds takes competitors coupons, so I got 10% off of it. As for the online delivery, not sure how that would work. It was free shipping - but that kind of scares me in a way. And Gary - that was exactly what I was thinking. If I buy local, and something goes wrong - I drive 2 miles down the road and take care of the situation.

I thought that I had a little bit of time, but I actually have someone willing to lend a hand putting this in, and he wants to do it tomorrow. Certainly couldn't turn down the offer.

Reaction score
Not sure if you bought one already or not: "pulling the plug" general means killing an option rather than selecting it, but it sounds like you went with it instead. In case you haven't already got the heater in hand you might want to quickly consider tank size.

I'm assuming that you have a 40 gallon and are replacing with a 40 gallon? You didn't state what size you have. If the current size meets all your needs then that would be good. If it is a 50 gal at present, then a smaller tank is generally not a good choice. The difference in energy use from 40 to 50 gallon storage is typically small.

If you have a large soaking tub in future plans or you might sell the home during the life of the water heater, then a 50 gallon might be a better choice. Another thing to check might be any local code guidelines about tanksize vs. home size/bedroom/bath/shower count.

Good luck!

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Runs - Yeah, I'm just replacing a 40 for another 40. Should be a little more efficiant, and I had a Rheem Fury from 1989 that finally gave way.

It's actually just the wife and I, so a 40 works out well. (I think it's 2 people, 1 shower, 1 washing machine, 1 dish washer = 5-7/40 gallon). I'll probably get better results with slightly higher BTU, as well as reclaiming whatever room the sediment had taken over. I fully admit to never having performed any type of maintanance on this unit, and I guess it wouldn't suprise me to see the previous owners didn't either. Now that I've done a little research, I fully intend on flushing it yearly as well as inspecting the anode rod every few years. I've heard conflicting stories about water softeners (just installed one about a month ago). Makes sense that removing the sediment from the water would prolong a water heater, but I can also see the side that says the sodium in the water attacks the anode/tank more. Either way, I'm going to be a little more proactive at performing maintanance on this new unit.

Thanks for everyone's help. I may not have grown up with the internet, but it sure is nice to have a place to goto now!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks