(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: how to unthread black iron fitting

Hybrid View

Default how to unthread black iron fitting

Hi, what is the typical method for unscrewing a black iron pipe from a fitting? the pipe is 1" threaded coming out of a 1.5"-1" reducer hung from the ceiling in my basement. Will just two pipe wrenches and some heat work or do I need a special tool?

thanks

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Two pipe wrenches should be fine. If that's not enough, sometimes heating the female fitting helps.

A couple of other things you might try if two pipe wrenches won't crack it loose are some PB Blaster on the fitting, and/or cheater handles on the wrenches. FWIW, PB Blaster is an excellent penetrating oil. Many folks try WD-40, but that is not a penetrating oil. It has its place, that this isn't one of them. I'd be careful with heat if the fitting is close to the ceiling.

thanks!

Is liquid wrench similar to PB? I've already got some lying around if so. The fitting is probably about6-8" below the open floor joist.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Go ahead and try the Liquid Wrench. Just be very careful if you then try to heat it, as the oil will smoke and burn. Often, all you need is a bigger wrench.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Yes, I think Liquid Wrench is a comparable product, PB Blaster may be a tad better, but I've never seen result of a test between the two.