(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: 3" PVC PIPE Gluing Question

Default 3" PVC PIPE Gluing Question

I was gluing two piece of 3" pvc. I used the cleaner then the glue as instructed. When I put the to pieces together it wanted to push right back out so I held it for a few seconds and it held. I went to my next item and later noticed that the pvc kicked out about 1/4 to 3/8" of an inch there is still roughly 1" of of pipe in the coupler glued. Is this going to cause a problem should I redo?

You did the right thing on the first joint when you held the joints together for a few seconds. There's almost certainly enough pipe in the other fittings to hold. FYI: The so called PVC glue or cement is neither glue nor cement. It is a solvent that briefly liquifies the surfaces of the pipe and fitting. When the pieces are joined the two surfaces mix together and form a chemical weld. Not unlike a metal weld. It's good practice to give the pipe a 1/4 or so twist when inserting it into the fitting, but that's not always possible nor is it really vital.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

SOmetimes, you need to hold it longer than a few seconds. Depends. What you saw was normal, and probably happens more the larger the pipe since there's more surface area and the socket gets deeper with larger fittings. It somewhat also depends on how much cement you layed on...enough of the solvents need to evaporate to make it solid...the more that's there, the longer it takes.

If most of it is still in the socket, it should be watertight.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swart View Post
    FYI: The so called PVC glue or cement is neither glue nor cement.
    Why is it that anytime a poster mentions glueing plastic pipes together, someone pops in with this pedantic nonsense? There is NOTHING in the
    meanings of the words "glue" or "cement" which would preclude their application to the process of "solvent welding" PVC or ABS pipe. The words
    in question have a very long use in describing solvent welding techniques from the days before plastic piping came into widespread usage, such as
    the use of "plastic model cement" or "polystyrene glue". Folks need to accept that the words "glueing" and "cementing" apply to a wide variety of
    chemically different processes, and that those processes have a commonality which is blindingly obvious. To the P.O.: yes, you are quite correct
    to say you are glueing PVC pieces together.

So then by this logic, one could use Titebond for PVC and PVC solvent for woodworking? Of course not, but many people do not understand the difference in the materials. Maybe it's a bit over technical, but if so, just don't read it.