New GE water softener not softening, the GPH meter is going full cycle in seconds

Users who are viewing this thread

jasper7821

Reaction score
That is BS marketing by someone that doesn't know what they are talking about or is outright lying. You use TDS meters to test ROs mostly, not softeners or filters.

Again, thank you very much and I really wish I did my research before hacking into the ceiling. Now I need to have a drywall company come patch my three holes.
I did not take the softener apart, after testing the whole system last night I figured it was working as it should be but something else was the issue.
Thanks again.

jasper7821

Reaction score
SUCCESS. Thank you guys for the advise.
I found a bar of soap at the house and tested it out. I washed my hand with hot water since no hot water was used yet and the water heater was filled with hard water.
Then I washed my hand with cold water and it was the slimy feeling I missed.
YES, I NOW HAVE SOFT WATER.
I guess it was my fault by reading the back of the TDS meter and it saying that 200ppm or so was hard water and my reading being in the 400's I for sure had hard water.

Thanks again everyone.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The last TDS meter I bought took a short trip across the basement and self destructed on contact with the foundation wall LOL

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I use this one, not one you should throw across the room though. UltrameterII4P.jpg
I save that kind of abuse for my HM digital ones.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks