Broke off main shut off valve, well system, can I fix it?

Users who are viewing this thread

plumbingnewbb

Reaction score
Just installed a new water heater, when I went to turn the water on the main (there was no individual shutoff to the water heater) it snapped off in my hand.

I have a well system, not city sewer. And my main is located in the center of my house, I have no basement. Is there anyway I can fix it on my own? Shut off the power to the pump? Then cut the old one out and replace it? I'm afraid of water going all over the place, but hate calling a plumber at this late stage.

What will the plumber do about it? Approximate price?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have mechanical skills, it shouldn't be a major deal to replace the valve. I'd go with a 1/4-turn ball valve rather than a globe, gate, or other screw-handled multi-turn type valve. If you turn the pump off then open a faucet somewhere to drain the bladder tank's pressure, you should discharge most of the water in the system. To solder, you need the pipes so that there's no running water, and depending on how the valve is positioned, sometimes a wetvac can help pull out any water that's left. If you have a valve open, any steam produced when trying to solder in a new valve can go out the open valve (the closer, the better, though). If the current valve is screwed on, hopefully, you have a union somewhere nearby, otherwise, you'll need to cut it out, the put new pieces in to fill the gap.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A plumber will replace the valve, but since you have told us absolutely nothing about how the valve is installed there is no way to even approximate a charge. Does the new heater have a shutoff valve?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your question infers your skills in this area are limited. Don't take this as a personal slam, all of us DIY have our weaknesses. What may be a relatively simple task for some, is a daunting task for others. I believe the wise DIY knows when it is prudent to call for help from a pro. In a sense, you are doing that with your question here, but with little information to go on, it is impossible to give you the help you need. If the job is nothing more than cutting the old valve out and replacing it with a new one, the cost of a plumber should be fairly reasonable, but keep in mind, a plumber charges a minimum and has to cover the many costs of doing business.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks