So much for a "Professional"

Users who are viewing this thread

Rngr275

Reaction score
Little pissed but but here goes....
Hired a plumber to install DWV for a bathroom/laundry room combonation. I was going to do it but wanted to make sure it was done correctly. I read the Tips link provided here and had a good feel for what needed to be done so that I could check his work (came reccomended) and I got a couple references. Over all the system looks good and is pretty close to what I would have done, except for one thing: 3" main drain line , shower feeds in with 3-2 Wy, same for washer, toilet feeds the 3 in from 3x3 wy w/clean out and the last fitting in the line which comes from the bathroom vanity he used a sana tee. I have read enough to know that you are not supposed to use a sana tee in a horizontal position. "Number 1 plumbing error"
I confronted him and his answer was that use a 3x2 wy would put the fitting to far down the drain and since it was for a vanity there should be no problem. I told him that if it fails inspection it will be changed but I am wondering what happens if the inspector doesn't catch it. Can it cause problems and should I have him correct it. Can toilet drain "Stuff" catch? It is positioned correctly just not the fitting I was expecting?

Little mifed I even have to ask here?:mad:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a "theoretical issue", related to giving the sewage a "boost" on its way downstream. There are probably thousands of DIY and handyman installations like that which have absolutely no problems. It should not pass inspection however. IF he only knew how to use a Y, and not a combo, then his abilities are suspect, however. I use LOTS of combos, but few Ys.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nobody uses combo's here. Can't get them without having to special order them. We use a wye and an 1/8 bend.

He could have also used a wye on it's side, to a long turn 90 to save some vertical space.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Like hj, I use a lot of combos.
They take up less space. Dropping a lav into a 3" horizontal is going to work, but the combo would have been nice.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wish we could get them here. The only place I have ever seen a PVC combo is at Lowe's

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Nobody uses combo's here

Where do you buy your supplies? At an Ace Hardware store? ONe reason I would use a Y is to connect it to a 1/6 bend to make rolling and rising 90 degree connection.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks