going from two handle shower body to one handle-- using converter plate

Users who are viewing this thread

dayexday

Reaction score
First, thanks for all the help you guys have given with other questions I've had. I really appreciate it.

I currently have a 2 handle system and am converting to a 1 handle. I want to avoid tile work afterwards so I am going to buy this converter plate:

My two handles are 11 inches apart and the plate covers 13 inches
My questions are:
1. Is there any reason I won't be able to convert to a single handle system without making a hole bigger than the plate? Like can another pipe further up not be compatible with the single handle valve I bought and I have to make a bigger hole to replace that too?
2. The cover plate has screws that are listed as nine inches apart in the specifications chart. Does that mean that the wall directly behind those screws can't be broken through? What will the screws be screwed into?

Thanks again for all your help and information. I wish I was more knowledgeable about this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Those plates are designed for an 8" faucet renovation. An 11" MIGHT be stretching its capabilities especially considering any piping revisions that might be needed. The openings in the wall for an 11" faucet might span more than 13" outside to outside.

dayexday

Reaction score
are there plates designed for an 11" renovation?

and this might be a dumb question, but i was wondering how the converter plate attaches to the wall if there is a hole behind it. I imagine it is best to use it when the valve is accessed and changed from the back but in my situation i have to go through the front. The specifications of the plate i linked to in my first post show the screws are nine inches apart. Doesn't there have to be wall behind it?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The ones I've seen have a bar held by the screw that bridges the gap to hold things in place. You do need to make the hole the shape and size they say, or it won't be long enough to bridge the hole and hold the plate in place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks